Class Allocation at New Secondary School

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
jah

Post by jah »

I don't think you say whether your daughter is moving to an all-girls or co-ed school. If it is all-girls, remind her that there will be lots more girls to get to know, and that many will be the only ones from their old school.

Year 11 daughter is the sort that takes a long time to make friends.
Having existing friends in the class would not have helped much, I think. If the old friends are more outgoing, they will want to get to know the others, and then the quieter ones can feel doubly abandoned. Better to try to get to know new people from day 1, rather than relying on old friends. She can still have a gossip with old friends on the way home or outside school.
jah

Post by jah »

Just remembered.

If your daughter has problems settling in, ask if she can see the Educational Psychologist. My daughter had lots of lovely chats with hers about strategies for getting on with people and so on.
Troubled

Post by Troubled »

It took all my courage but I did phone DD’s new school.
As you all predicted they were very understanding and had come across this many times before. Moving class was not an option however they made a note of my concerns and would pass this information onto her form teacher who will monitor the situation.
I now intend spending the holidays contacting other girls in her class and arranging a few get togethers (first one already arranged!!!) as well as having lots of FUN with my DD.
As requested by ‘hari’ I will post an update. Hopefully by that time I will be able to change my name from ‘troubled’ to ‘very-very-happy-mum-and-DD!’

Once again thanks for all the help.
GemmaB

Post by GemmaB »

well done for contacting the school - hope you feel better now and DD will know you have done all you can.
enjoy the summer
Troubled

As promised an update

Post by Troubled »

You were all absolutely right and what in the world were we worrying about! DD has settled in wonderfully in her new class and school.

Within a few weeks she had made friends with some new girls and worrying about old primary school ‘friends’ had been totally unfounded. It appears that both of them had wanted a fresh start and have even been getting along rather well.

I did encourage her to take part in lots of extra-curricula activities and clubs where she has flourished. Academically she enjoys the challenge of the work and has even realised that ‘clever’ can be ‘cool’.

I had wondered if GS was the correct option for her not only academically but for her own development and had reviewed a number of high performing private schools. All I can say at this moment is that I could not have asked for a better school for my DD. The staff have been helpful and supportive, the environment academically challenging but most importantly her confidence and determination to succeed has soared.

Long may it continue!

No longer ‘troubled’ - now ‘calm but watchful’.
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

How excellent that you have let us know how things are going. I'm so pleased that she is settled and happy!
Charlotte67

Post by Charlotte67 »

Dear Calm but watchful,

Thank you for taking the time to post this update! Your daughter's experience will undoubtedly help people who find themselves in a similar situation this year.

I'm so glad to hear that she is happy.

Regards,

Charlotte
zorro

Post by zorro »

Ditto, glad things worked out- it's always nice to hear of a happy outcome.
Best wishes,
Zorro
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Great news - so pleased to hear it is working so well for her :D