Good luck to all those starting 'big school' soon...

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Ed's mum

Good luck to all those starting 'big school' soon...

Post by Ed's mum »

I thought that I should just acknowledge that some of our children are about to make that 'leap' and start at their respective post-primary schools over the next few weeks (depending on school/location etc).
My son is going through all sorts of emotions at the moment. Mostly excitement, but definitely with nervous anticipation.
How is your child feeling? Are you all prepared for that first day?
I have been naming all of his stationery today. I finally finished the laborious sewing of the names onto his socks yesterday (it took MUCH longer than I expected and, peversely, I quite enjoyed the task!!).
:mrgreen:
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Yes - all the best to everyone. It's a big step for parents too - getting used to all those teachers to deal with :lol:

Top tips from a 'veteran'

We have a school checklist by the front door to check equipment needed for every day - avoids taking the wrong kit and getting into strife.

Also encourage them to record homework clearly and get a phone number of a friend in their class to check what they've written if its unintelligible when they get home.

Have a timetable on the bedroom wall to help with packing - get them to put teachers names against subjects so you learn who is who.

If they do not have a routine for bag packing [and unpacking what they don't need] before they go to bed then start one from day one.

Have a place to put the locker key [which many schools use] on return from school so it can be found easily.

Hope that helps -
traceyanne

Post by traceyanne »

Thanks so much, having a child who can't find anything, that is such a good idea!
KB

Post by KB »

If you get one of those key rings on a long bit of curly plastic they can attach the other end to their bazer/belt/ trousers etc & it avoids them leaving the locker key in the lock by mistake (or putting it down somewhere else!)

We got a spare locker key cut at beginning of year to avoid hassle if it did go missing with urgently needed books locked inside.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Yes those curly things are good - they just need to remember to hand them in during PE and collect afterwards - these key 'chains' are also very fashionable at the moment ...
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

Thanks some great starting tips.
DS started yesterday enjoying every minute of it. At the moment I'm trying to support him but eventually need to let him learn to organise himself. Not sure if it's a downside, but they've gone to a 2 week timetable, so whilst increasing organisational skills, it will hopefully decrease the need for such a heavy backpack and all the running around done between lessons, to get to each.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Unfortunately the luck did not work! My son hates the school and says he doesn't want to got back! :shock: Boring, teachers too strict and never any fun! :roll: Normally my kids last a year so this is a record, but we're not giving up (yet), but he's managed to stress me out this weekend! :x :cry:

My eldest, for the first time ever, is in his second year at the same school and is really enjoying himself, so all is not bad! :)
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Oh no!!
Maybe he will change his mind when he has been there a little longer? Was he looking forward to going there?
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Yes, very much so which is probably the problem - a major anti-climax! He's also realised that compared to the older choristers he is no longer the Pavarotti (rest his soul) that he thought he was. :roll: Well he'll have to ride it out because we can't afford these ridiculous school fees :shock: ...and home-ed is not an option! :lol:
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Let us know how he gets on.
It must be stressful for you - it is so hard when we know that our children aren't happy.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now