Homework

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
zorro

Post by zorro »

Yes, I read this in the Evening Standard the other night.
Imagine how easy life would be if this was the case at our DC's schools.
NotionPotion

Post by NotionPotion »

Trying to get DD into routine where she does homework on the night it is set but although this helps to keep on top of things it is still quite stressful (as a parent) when there are 3-4 pieces a night.
DD usually starts off well but by the 3rd piece she starts to get a bit whingey and much as I try to encourage her she doesn't always appreciate this! I think like your DD Wallasey, she puts lots of effort in but is pretty tired by the end of it all (and so am I!)
Can't say we were in the dark about the amount of homework set and I do believe it gives kids "the edge" but I'm also hoping we all settle into it soon.
KB

Post by KB »

Have been through the homework nightmare twice and now starting again :)
Would strongly advise that you talk to school if children are needing to stay up till 10 pm to get finished.
Don't believe that school would want this as they can't be performing to their best during the day if not getting enough sleep.
It does get better - but can take a very long time!
katel

Post by katel »

I really don't think a child would "get a complex" if their parent wrote a note saying that they had been too tired to finish their homework. I think it's extremely unlikely that any school would want its new year 7s working til 10pm. Honestly, if this is a regular occurrance then you really need to speak to the school.
zorro

Post by zorro »

Much better last night - homework finished and in bed by 9.15!
Think it depends on which night it is and which subjects are set.
patricia

Post by patricia »

This thread is now way off topic, I have asked the Programmer to split it.

1] Bonding 2] Homework

Patricia

PS, I am learning a new job, I had 3 hours homework las night! [not amused]
tehmonkey

Post by tehmonkey »

My DD started Year 10 this year after decidng to do Separate Sciences, Geography, German, Histroy and the core subjects She's been till about 10:30 most nights doing her homework most of her friends seem to have finished way before then. Which did worry me a bit but my DD just keeps telling me its because she is doing it in much more detail, she has always been like that but i am worried when it comes to homework where you will need to put more detail etc in that she'll end up spending all her time doing homework :(

She's now also worried that because of switching her history and geography teachers round that she has missed things. So ended up speading 4 hours on homework she was never set :roll: Which i suppose is a good thing that she is catching up on the things she has missed but 4 hours was probably a bit too much. She can hardly keep her eyes open by the time she goes to bed :!:
nkm

Post by nkm »

May have missed the important part, is this a Year 10 problem? My dd at selective grammar - now yr 8. Hardly seen her do a piece of hw since joining. says does at school. Reports and parents evenings do not indicate a problem - so can only assume she has completed the necessary! Difficult for her sister who is in yr 5 and teacher sets homework to prepare them for senior school!
magwich2

homework

Post by magwich2 »

If your child is at a selective school it is very likely indeed that they will get good results in their GCSE's unless they develop an attitude problem of some kind or you are the worst type of liberal parent who thinks drinking, clubbing and re-enacting "Romeo and Juliet " with some skank fron the local boys school is just fine in years 7-11!!
They will just not need to do much homework at all given the standard of GCSE's and the inordinate length of time in which they will study for them.
Our experience with DD1 was that almost all the homework was done at lunchtime, on the bus or sitting in front of the television! We also occasionally wrote notes excusing her when the task set was especially piffling!
jah

Post by jah »

Bearing in mind that some homework will be reading and some learning: if children have a long journey, can they do any on the way home? I used to learn language vocab or read on the school coach. Half hour journey, so that was one subject done before I got in. (I was lucky enough to have a seat admittedly, which children on public transport don't always get.)

My experience of my (now year 12) daughter leads me to suggest that you make sure that it is homework that is being done all the time, and not surreptitious reading of novels!! She was very good at making homework expand to fill the time available. Half hourly checks to see what progress had been made since the last visit became necessary. I would set deadlines of what I expected to see completed in the next half hour.