Taxi driver seeks advice.

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

cam

Taxi driver seeks advice.

Post by cam »

I'm seeking advice from you all. As a 'taxi driver' to 11 year old boys should I drive in slience and listen (my current choice)? Should I join in some debates? ...express opinions? ...object to language - nothing serious yet? ...support the underdog? .....
And has anyone got some funny stories - the best line yet is 'you know what it's like when you think you're in love then you're not...' I resisted the temptation to comment.
chad

Post by chad »

It depends.......

If it is light hearted stuff then I join in...... and expect some banter back. This is a good way to become 'accepted' by my son's friends and let them know that they can have a laugh even with an 'oldie' in the car.
I do tend to 'cough' if a swear word is uttered (followed by a steely glance in the mirror)... just to let them know it had been picked up and wasn't allowed in the car.
If the conversation seems more serious ... then I tend to be mute unless asked for my opinion.

Most unexpected question from an 11 yr old....

If 'A' is going out with 'B' but they haven't kissed can I ask her out? :roll:

Best discussion so far was..... how many countries/ cultures would have to change their diet if we didn't have bread/ flour..... and what would they eat instead.
Burneth

Post by Burneth »

I listened in on a very interesting recital of the french alphabet the other day (brushing up on homework on the way to school)....couldn't join in as I don't know it myself...but interesting to hear the variations!!
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;51;459/st/20080902/e/DS%27s+1st+day+at+senior/k/f5bf/event.png[/img]

PS I am Burneth and I am a lady....!
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Swearing is unacceptable and other peoples kids should be respectful enough not to do it in front of a friends parents.

Joining in depends on how your kids react - if they're mortified then don't. Of course I can't help myself and like to still think I'm under 20! :roll:
perplexed

Post by perplexed »

I'm not sure that I like the way parents have become "taxi-drivers" over the years - not just generally seeming to drive offspring around more than is good for them, but also the unspoken assumption that one is just the driver and should stick to that role.

When I was a teenager I used to enjoy chatting with my friends' parents when sharing lifts, and when going round to their houses for meals. Ask my part-time teenage step-children about their friends' parents and they know absolutely nothing; nothing about their lives, their careers, nothing. It seems to me to be a wasted opportunity for some stimulating conversation with an adult.

Some "paid for" taxi drivers do have quite educated discussions with their clients. Perhaps we should take a leaf out of their book.
Sassie'sDad

'Taxi drivers' converse or not?

Post by Sassie'sDad »

What a breth of fresh air an sanity! I entirely agree with your comments. Why are so many others actally "institutionalising" the age barrier?
2stressed

Post by 2stressed »

I drove my DS and his 3 friends to their first school disco last Friday and they were all more than happy to chat with me - I didn't even consider that maybe I shouldn't join in the conversation. However, I have known them all since they were 2 :lol: