Homework

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

patricia

Homework

Post by patricia »

Dear All

I posted the following in the Surrey section yesterday. An interesting article concerning homework at Tiffin Boys School...

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_a ... 799173.ece

Patricia
essex-mum18

Post by essex-mum18 »

Very interesting article.

My DS started GS this september -yr7 and it is true that he does 3-4 pieces ( about 30-40mins per subject) of homework everynight. He tries to clear the homework everday and not to accumulate it for the next week.

This is lovely to see him so keen but also want him to relax a bit to have some ME time.

It will be interesting to see the effects/ consquences/ results of the GCSE in relation with the amount of homework that have been given. Does it mean excess homework= very high grade???
mum3

Post by mum3 »

I completely agree with the Tiffin headmaster. I wish they didn't have homework at all. I am sure they don't need it every night, they work them hard enough during the day at most grammar schools. I think there is an element of 'you are not actually getting a decent education unless lots of homework every night' when my son IS getting a very good education every day in school time.
magwich2

homework

Post by magwich2 »

I completely agree with the Tiffin headmaster. DD is in year 7 and we are once again doing all the facile and pointless bits of homework that DD1 found so irritating - you know the kind of thing- a daft "evaluation" of a fruit salad!! - I suspect I know what Gordon Ramsay would say!!
Next there will be "posters" then "leaflets" and most annoying of all "research" (to add insult to injury usually mispronounced as REsearch!) which as we all know just means more customers for Google.
DH is a maths teacher and also agrees with Tiffin headmaster - he cannot wait to see the back of GCSEs anyway. It would be much better if able children just did 7 or 8 AS levels in year 11. DH found that a lot of disruptive behaviour in one Grammar school was caused by bored pupils who were almost at GCSE standard by the end of year 7 and knew full well that they could coast for 3 - 4 years
vas

Post by vas »

I totally agree with REsearch, but most have been reasonable so far.

Katel, I misunderstood what you wrote; Didn't realise it was for a particular piece to be excused.

As you said if this is a regular occurance it has to be addressed, but sometimes I am not sure if this is just my son taking too long! He has always been rather slow, but with 11+ I thought things had changed as everything was timed and he managed to pass through everything fine (sat exams for 8 schools) and even got a small schol in the school he is at, but now everything is in slow motion again. It is also a vicious circle as when you sleep less you work slow and sleep late again! May be some one can enlighten as how best to break the pattern?
essex-mum18

Post by essex-mum18 »

Hi, vas

I know what you mean. My son sometimes takes ages just to colour a poster/ leaflet or draw a diagram. I now insist him to do the Maths, essay type homework first while he is still alert/awake after school.

Then he can take his time to colour or draw or research whatever subjects he needs to do. This seems to make himself organise better and the bed time is not too late. Al least, he has a solid 9 hours sleep and ready for the next day work.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

I think its a disgrace that children are being made to do 3-4 hours work per night. It makes me wonder if thats the reason why the school is good. I also agree with the point that GS schools should sit GCSE's up to 2 years early as the intake is selective. Whats the point having an able intake if the schools still run to the same schedules as comps?! :?
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

If they do their GCSEs early, then presumably their A' Levels early - what next? Do they go to university early when they're possibly not mature enough to get as much from the experience as they should?

Agree about the homework. No. 1 child seemed to spend ages on it in year 7. No. 2 child, now in year 7 hardly seems to get any - or maybe he's just more efficient! We'd hate it as adults if we worked hard at our jobs all day and then were told to do an extra 2 or 3 hours more work when we got home!
magwich2

homework

Post by magwich2 »

I do not think they should do their GCSEs early; I do not think they should do them at all!
They have little truly academic content and are overlaid with the dead hand of the national curriculum. DD1 has been put off every single one of the 14 subjects she is doing - as she puts it "Iknow what I have to do to get them but its so boring - just make sure you make EVERY answer in the science exams "global warming" and use the crib sheets provided by the teachers for all the other subjects!"
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Magwich I agree with the GCSE's but I thought it might be too controversial.

Not to go on about a certain school but most pupils at Winchester don't sit GCSE's and they do start A'S level years before their time. If children sit exams early they just start uni level work at Winchester which makes them better prepared for uni. I don't think kids should start uni more than a year early but that doesn't mean they shold coast for years at school.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now