errors on non verbal reasoning

Advice on 11 Plus NVR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
snake

errors on non verbal reasoning

Post by snake »

Just got my son to do this test
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/free- ... -reasoning" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And it seems there are some questions which are ambiguous and some which seem like they have the wrong answers. Can any check and confirm or is it just me :-)

for example,

section 1 question 1 is ambiguous
My son put the answer as A but the correct answer is D
Both answers could actually be correct since it depends if the original shape was mirrored or rotated, but there is no way to know which since it could be either. The only way D could be the correct answer is if the original shape can only be rotated and not mirrored, which is not the case since it is symmetrical.

section 1 question 3
Ambiguous and incorrect. The original shape could be closed and then completely filled in, or closed and have the opposite side filled in. Making the answer A or E, so that is the ambiguous part for the obvious answer.
However, it says the correct answer is B, and there is no way to extrapolate "fill in 3 segments" from the original shape.

There are others too.
Aethel

Re: errors on non verbal reasoning

Post by Aethel »

It's a freebie test by someone I've never heard of.... always take resources with a pinch of salt. The best way to aproach this is to go through the paper together afterwardsc, explain WHY the answer is incorrect , and so your DC will learn a) that sest setters aren't always infallible, especially with NVR, and that b) sometimes understanding how to approach a question is a more important piece of learning progress than whether or not the DC got that particular practice question right:

Some of the tutoring hothouses offer similar paid-for workbooks which have creeping-in errors, grammatical mistakes... one we bought had a large comprehension section that required knowledge of Indian geography to answer the questions correctly.
Westminster11

Post by Westminster11 »

As above- treat online resources with caution. If possible, use past paper exams available on the Highgate, City, Haberdasher school pages.

Chris
snake

Post by snake »

I have recently had my 13 year old take the cambridge iGCSE 2017 ICT exam. That was also full of issues, wrong or outdated answers.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now