Struggling with NVR

Advice on 11 Plus NVR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
TIDDLYMUM

Struggling with NVR

Post by TIDDLYMUM »

Hi

My DS will be sitting Altrincham Grammar in Sept 2009. We are out of area and so have to attain a higher score than those in area.

He is confident and competent in Maths, English and Verbal Reasoning. However he is really struggling with NVR. We have worked through Bond 9/10 and 10/11 and are currently tackling the Letts papers. These appear tpo be harder than Bond and he is scoring only 50/65% and is become very disheartened and upset.He did much better in the Bond Papers.

Any suggestions please? He is happy to do extra papers. Is it worth buying the down loadable papers, do you think?

I have heard say that opften with NVR it suddently just 'clicks'- however given the exam is in five weeks it would have to 'click' soon!

Thanks in advance for any info offered.
zhadakhan

Post by zhadakhan »

im in exatly the same position as u , my son is sitting it as well on the 12th sept , and im also out of the area but this is how i did it ,i bourght the nvr papers but they are obviously limited and with that there is not many , but then i gt the book , how to do non verbal reasoning , its a book with all the methods and the way to go thru the sections with tests at the end, and they can be bourght from here on eleven plus,
the books are bond books whic is titled how to do the 11+non verbal , a then also buy the non verbal downloadable interactive they time your child and i only bourght it 3 weeks ago after feeling my son had done as much as he could but there was no other material on the market , and they have got excellant material to practice with and pulled my son up from 70% to thank god touch wood nearl 88 % worth the investment and best of luck , hope he does well, take care
TIDDLYMUM

Post by TIDDLYMUM »

Hi

Thanks for the tips, thats really nice of you. We too have worked through the Bond NVR and 'how to do'. He did pretty well with these though I do think the Letts books that I bought from the school at open night were much harder than Bond.

I will buy the downloadable ones as you have suggested. Good luck to your son as well , fingers crossed xx
TIDDLYMUM

1. ELEVEN PLUS EXAMS - NON-VERBAL REASONING - VOLUME 1

Post by TIDDLYMUM »

We have just done the above demo which my son found quite easy. Is the second volume more difficult please, wondering whether I should buy that one instead?

thanks
toy

Post by toy »

Hi, I don't think you should restrict yourself to bond and nfer, you should practise with as many resources as possible. AFN, IPS, LEARNING TOGETHER ETC... With NVR, the more practise, the better they become. Fortunately, if it doesn't come naturally, you can improve through practise. My DS has greatly improved, getting in the 90's through constant and varied practise.
Good luck!
zhadakhan

Post by zhadakhan »

you are rite in saying the children found it easier, and ips he found harder because they are actually 12+ not 11+ but as i have 2 nephew and 2 nieces at altrincham grammer for girls and boys and they were asisting and they actually did say its nfr standard and i know we want them to do well and reach the target where they are given a place at AGS but i feel that we are being that much pushy beacuse we got to remeber they have gt to 353 marks to pass and any thing higher is a bonus and according to the age of you child they will be given points , to acheive, may i ask u how old your child is and have you check out the age standardisation chart it may settle your mind aliitle because i feel the same, and now he is geting in his 90's but i feel it all depends on the day i had a friend last year her son was hitting 95% on each paper on the day he lost his nerve and didnt get in to any school altrincham sale and strtford i feel the child needs to know how to keep his nerve and all we can do is keep our fingers crossed, and hope for the best , gud luck to the children ,
TIDDLYMUM

Post by TIDDLYMUM »

My son is 11 in November. I don't know about age standardisation, can you tell me more please?

Where do you get IPS from- will get them if it helps.

Good comment about the nerves as well. As you say fingers crossed and hope for the best.best of luck to you x