IPS NVR Practice papers E assistance

Advice on 11 Plus NVR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
richmond

IPS NVR Practice papers E assistance

Post by richmond »

Me again - you can tell I am getting in full Exam mode now that we have about 6 weeks to the test (Tiffin girls in my case). Although trying to fit these practice papers in with homework seems neigh on impossible with the amount of homework DD1 gets.

Can anyone assist on Practice Paper 2. We cannot see the reason for the following:

Section B questions 5 (answer is D), question 8 (answer is B) and question 9 (answer is A).
Section D questions 2 (answer is D), question 8 (answer is E, and question 10 (answer is E)

Any assistance gratefully received.

Richmond
NorthLondonMum

Post by NorthLondonMum »

Section D

Q2 needs to have a horizontal line of symmetry

Q8 the number of small shapes is equal to the number of sides on the big shape

Q10 congruent shapes (twist them round and they are exactly the same) all the other "lean" the other way

I don't think we've done section B, but I'll go and have a look at it. You have to be a bit careful with IPS NVR - we found some dodgy answers.
richmond

Post by richmond »

Thanks NLM for replying.

OK I understand Q2 but still have a block with 8 and 10 I am afraid.

Richmond
NorthLondonMum

Post by NorthLondonMum »

OK, here's my attempt at section B (I do find some IPS questions a bit weird)

Q4 Possible ends are Arrow or square, shapes must have 4 of one and 2 of the other?

Q8 shapes have to be in pairs eg two rectangles + two lines +two circles

Q9 the two inside shapes have to be of the same type (the fill or bold is irrelevent)?

someone might have better ideas!

Good luck at Tiffin.
NorthLondonMum

Post by NorthLondonMum »

D8

The two given shapes can be described as follows:

a square (4 sides) and 4 small shapes (circles)
a pentagon (5 sides) and 5 small shapes (3 circles and two square)

the one that goes with is E because it is a triangle (3 sides) and 3 small shapes (3 triangles)

D10

hard to describe but if can rotate them all so that they are all "standing up" you will see that some "lean" one way and some the other.

Hope that helps!
richmond

Post by richmond »

NLMum - thanks for looking at B.

I can see Q4 and Q9 now but not Q8.

If anyone else can give an explanation for Q8 that would be great.

Thanks

Richmond
richmond

Post by richmond »

Thanks I can now see D8 and D10 (just about!).

Richmond
DIY Mum3

Post by DIY Mum3 »

I recently ordered the IPS nvr as we were running out of material. After the first three papers I stopped using them. My daughter was getting an average of 95% on bond, nfer etc but dropped to as low as 70% on one of the IPS papers and this close to the exam I don't want to dent her confidence. I'm not a natural at nvr but as a parent trying to correct their child's work, I find their logic really bizarre.
fm

Post by fm »

I would also advise using IPS with caution and only when everything else has ran out. This year I only used them with one child and only to reinforce one individual section.
richmond

Post by richmond »

Thanks for comments. I got these papers as I thought they would be quick little papers to fit in when DD1 had lots of homework. However I found they were taking both her and myself a lot longer than the full length papers trying to work them out! Have not done any more recently as just finishing up our AFN papers - we then do not have any more aside from the IPS. If we do finish the AFN then I might just let DD1 do some of the papers she has already done before rather than IPS. I certainly do not want to put her off when the exam is only in a couple of weeks.

Richmond
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now