IPS NVR Practice papers E assistance

Advice on 11 Plus NVR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
boltew

Post by boltew »

would also advise using IPS with caution and only when everything else has ran out. This year I only used them with one child and only to reinforce one individual section.
Dear fm,

Can I ask why you advise against using IPS?
fm

Post by fm »

I tutor for grammar school and, at the risk of being immodest, I am fairly good at non-verbal. Anytime I buy a new set of papers, I shall test run them on myself. I certainly had no problem with any of the other sets (AFN, Bond, NFER including the dreaded test A) but I remember that there were several in the IPS papers which I got wrong. Having then looked at the right answer, I could see why it was the right one but I thought some of the reasoning was fairly spurious, and possibly off-puting to children who are going to face a NFER-written paper.
I am certainly not anti-IPS for any of their other products. I like their verbal reasoning books and papers, and their 35 minute maths tests. I just found using the non-verbal was not improving my pupils at all so, more or less, dropped them from my repetoire.
boltew

Post by boltew »

Thanks fm.

I must admit when I worked through the first 2 papers, I found them very difficult and I'm also pretty good at NVR.
KP

Post by KP »

I agree with fm and boltwe. My son has been doing IPS very recently and he has given me several reasons why he thinks his answers are correct for some questions. I think some questions are ambiguous. It can have two answers based on different reasonsings.

I thought these papers will give him some extra practice but I think they are causing problems. I have tried ATHEY,AFN,CGP,NFER and BOND and have found them good.

Can anyone recommend any other practice material for NVR for the Redbridge exams.
fm

Post by fm »

Don't know about Redbridge but there is a second set of Bond papers newly released. You might look at those--I haven't tried them yet, however.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now