Help on NVR PRACTICE TEST 1 MULTIPLE CHOICE

Advice on 11 Plus NVR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
salaam

Post by salaam »

Hi all, I purchased the eleven plus exams paper one and my son and I are struggling to figure out some of the answers (even though we have successfully managed to get good marks on papers 2 and 3).

Basically, why is part3 no.5 A?

Why is part 4 no.7 C?
and why is part 5 no.6 A, when all white shapes are of an even number and also could not understand why the outside shape would be a triangle.

Please help -thanks! - it's very frustrating esp for my son when you can't find the reason for the answer and you are trying to help him. Thanks!
salaam

Post by salaam »

Oh well...if no-one can help - we will just give up then.
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

I'm afraid I don't know the questions. Could you scan them?
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Salaam, it may be that the people reading the boards haven't used the papers you are using (or maybe not even reading this :shock: ).

It really would make it easier for people to help you if you could scan and post the question on here - you'd be inundated with answers then I'm sure!!
salaam

Post by salaam »

HI thanks..I will try and scan them in if I get a chance - my scanner is connected to a different computer than the one I normally use. Watch this space. :roll:
Ang's mom

Post by Ang's mom »

The first two I am still to work out but I think I got this one :-

why is part 5 no.6 A, when all white shapes are of an even number and also could not understand why the outside shape would be a triangle

This question asks you to find one of five figures which is most similar to the two figures on the left.

1 )Consider the 2 figures to the left :- Pentagon and Hexagon .The Pentagon has 5 sides and hence 5 items(smaller shapes) inside , the Hexagon has 6 sides and hence 6 items(smaller shapes) inside.

With this, we can eliminate all but A,D and E (which are the only shapes having the items inside(3) equal to the number of sides of the major shape (triangle in this case).
B - is a quadrilateral but has only 3 smaller shapes inside and C- Hexagon but has only 5 shapes inside

2) Now if you look at the small triangles and small circles inside the Pentagon and the Hexagon, the triangles are black in colour and the circles are white. The only choice matching this criteria is A.

The other two - D and E have white triangles and black circles.
Ang's mom

Post by Ang's mom »

Why is part 4 no.7 C?

This is a two by two matrix.

We can quickly eliminate A, D and E as the heart sign is inverted and hence the pentagon should also be inverted. Hence we are left with B and C.

When you turn "the 3 quarter of a circle" icon (i.e the one on the top left hand box of the matrix) anticlockwise by 90 degrees , you get the new "3 quarter of a circle " icon on the top right hand box.
Similarly now if you turn the paper icon on the bottom left box anticlockwise by 90 degress you will end up with Choice C.

Basically try rotating the image 90 degree anticlockwise. Hope you get it.
salaam

Thank you

Post by salaam »

You are such a star! Now it makes sense - I will show it to my son tomorrow - he will be pleased - I appreciate all the time and effort you have gone to working it all out and then going to all the trouble to type up the answers too.

Thank you so much x
Ang's mom

Post by Ang's mom »

You are welcome salaam :)
Basically, why is part3 no.5 A?

My DD's reasoning goes like this :-
1) R is common in both the second and third shape. But we couldnt find any similarity in the two shapes.
2) So we moved on to the second alphabet of the three shapes. P is common to the first and third shapes. If we consider that P denotes no stripes inside the smaller figure then F denotes stripes.
3)This will then restrict the answer to A or B. As P and F cannot come together,we have to ignore B . We are then left with A.
I dont know if there is any other reasoning possible.
Not sure, if there is anything wrong with the question either.
Ang's mom

Post by Ang's mom »

Is your son's exam over , salaam ?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now