Non Verbal Reasoning Tuition Books

Advice on 11 Plus NVR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
lashingsofgingerbeer

Non Verbal Reasoning Tuition Books

Post by lashingsofgingerbeer »

Hi, I'm new to the forums and having browsed a few areas of interest, I have the following questions if anyone could possibly help;
I have the Bond "How To do NV & VR" books and noticed that a few of you also recommend the AE publication "How to Do NVR". I've looked on this website's bookshop and am a bit confused. Can anyone enlighten me as to whether it is the "AE" or "Athey Educational" book that is quoted and what the exact title of the NVR one is that posters are referring to (or are they the same company?) :roll:

Also, I've been steadily working through the Bond assessment papers with my DC since year 4 and followed the relevant age based papers. How far up do you have to go - I notice that Bond do 10-11, 11+ and 12+. I am in the Bromley LEA so we are looking at entering the Newstead Wood test.

Many thanks!
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

They call it a Work Book as it is "How to do" and sample questions and answers combined (some with explanations to get you on the right track :) )

You may be able to whizz through book one, but is still useful in getting you thinking logically step-bt-step and naming shapes, patterns and changes, i.e. 90 degrees anticlockwise rotation.

I will move this thread into the NVR section. :)

steve
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

I would recommend the AE workbooks especially if the child finds NVR difficult, it breaks it down into logical steps
lashingsofgingerbeer

NVR Tuition Books

Many thanks Steve for the publication link & for reposting in the NVR section! Thanks too Yoyo for the advice. Any idea if it is necessary to go beyond the 11+ test papers for the Newstead Wood test? My DC will be 10.5 when she sits it and it seems a bit extreme to me if you have to, but I guess there will always be some that want/need to? All very new to me at the moment and first time through :shock:
bromley mum

Post by bromley mum »

We have just done the Newstead test. We worked through the Bond books, even the 11 + ones. Two reasons for doing so. Firstly, we had worked through all the books so needed extra material. Secondly, if you get used to the harder ones then you should find the lower levels slightly easy. Newstead papers are more like the Nfer ones so do them as well but as there are only 4 available in the market don't do them too soon. Hope this helps. Any more questions feel free to PM.
lashingsofgingerbeer

NVR Tuition Books

Hi bromley mum & thanks for the advice :D

I thought the Nfer papers would be useful to work through at some point so thanks for the confirmation. I'm assuming the Bond papers and the Nfer papers will give my DD a good range of sample questions in preparation for the Newstead test. I did buy the sample papers they sold on their open day, but noticed that they don't give reference to any particular format (Nfer/Bond/ANO).
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now