Frequency of practise papers

Advice on 11 Plus NVR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Doblinski

Frequency of practise papers

Post by Doblinski »

Re NVR practise papers. Recently DD's not finishing the tests in time and is guessing the last 7 or 8 questions in a hurry and losing marks which have really dropped recently and she's started to hate NVR :cry: . The tutor says we need to do practise papers at home now to boost her ability to work within the time-frame and suggested doing them every other day.

I was wondering how many practise papers your DC's doing in a week? And how do you organise it, do you alternate NVR and VR? Thanks
stressedparent

Re: Frequency of practise papers

Post by stressedparent »

Hi Doblinski,

I would recommend a lot of practice, practice and practice. Always correct the mistakes she makes immediately after the test. She will benefit from this as she will be able to make the corrections herself or with a little bit of help. You need to establish why she is making the mistakes, is it a technique issue or time management that is making her panic? I would recommend the AE tuition books 1 &2, as they are very good in technique. What schools are you trying for?

stressedparent
stressedparent
Doblinski

Post by Doblinski »

Thanks stressedparent (know where you're coming from)
DD going for Tiffin Girls only. Tutor thinks it's only a timing issue that we must not give up as she was one of the strong ones in the group, and that practise will put it right. I think as soon as her grades dropped and she wasn't doing so well her confidence just ebbed away. Now she thinks she's bad at NVR despite getting 90% + for all early tests. Last week she burst into tears saying she's now always behind in the group. Her scores are in 70's / 80's now perptuating the downward trend - and it's affecting her VR scores which have always been excellent :(

NVR brilliance pill anyone? ... No?
stressedparent

Post by stressedparent »

Hi Doblinski,

It is about 15 weeks to the Tiffin test, so do not panic. I will try and work on the confidence issue first and timings will come with practice, I recommend this type of approach when doing NVR, easy, medium, very hard and easy again. So I will approach the NVR papers in the following manner, AFN easiest, NFER papers b, c, and d, Bond papers and then leave NFER paper A to last. Then start with easy papers near the exam again AFN, nfer papers b, c and d. This hopefully will help her build her confidence. Her confidence will be high when she is attempting the hard papers and when she sits the real test in Jan. I hope you find this helpful.

stressedparent
stressedparent
Doblinski

Post by Doblinski »

That's great advice, we're having an unscheduled break from the tutoring (she needs a rest I think tutor not DC) which has been a good thing, and will give me time to put your good advice to practise thanks very much again - you're a brick :D