What the Standerdised score equates to in % approx.

Advice on 11 Plus NVR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Vicky

What the Standerdised score equates to in % approx.

Post by Vicky »

I Just thought I would share this with you, as now I'm on my third child in 3 years taking the 11+. This year when we visited one of the schools The Judd they printed some valuable information about the scores achieved last year
I will try and set this out as clearly as possible
120 + is what we are aiming for a selective place LAST YR this equated to
51% in VR 2004
52% IN NVR 2004
48% IN MATHS
140 STANDERDISED SCORE IS THE HIGHEST YOU CAN GET THIS equated to the following
75% IN VR
71% IN NVR
75% IN MATHS
In simple terms if your child is achieving this sort of marksin the practice papers then you are on the right path for younger children they should be achieving slightly less and for older children slightly higher.
There is no guarantee that this pattern will be the same for 2006 but it takes the mystery out of how it works dont you think
Vicky

Post by Guest »

I must say that I am surprised that the scores are so low. I am a teacher and although i know that the majority of children are not very bright at all I still feel that when my child sits the 11+ they have to get 100%!!

My daughter could get over 90% in NFER tests, but I still felt that this wasn't good enough - am I mad (quite probably). However, the test she sat wasn't an NFER test (CEM University of Durham), so I don't know how applicable NFER information is to her anyway.

Thank you very much for posting this information as it helps to reduce the anxiety a lot of parents feel at this time. The Judd is an excellent school and the results are consistently very good - I hope your child is successful.

Post by Guest »

Hi all,
What your child scores is not as important as the average score. assume your child raw score is 69 out of 80 and the average is 40 then your child should get the standardised score of 139.

Ali Baba

Post by Guest »

Hello Vickey,
Could you please advice how many children sat the test last year and if the school was oversubscribed and by how many?

Thank you

Jim
Mel

Post by Mel »

My son recently done the Slough test, maths,verbal and Non verbal. he said it was hard as did lots of his friends. His teacher says they need 75% of each test? Is this right and ho wdo we know what teh average will be. Also whre does teh 12.5 come from when trying to calcualte standardise sores, does anyone knwo??

Thanks

Post by Guest »

Hi Mel,
The 12.5 is the standard deviation of all scores around the the average standaridised score which is always a 100. You can never tell what the average raw score will be as it changes from year to year. My daugther sat the exam at langley she answered 37 out of the 40 non verbal and 70 out of the 80 verbal and 36 out of fifty in the maths of course she ran out of time in all papers. She only managed to guess the last 15 maths questions when the teacher said there is only two mins left. as your aware not finishing the paper is normal for these types of tests as all the children are in the same enviroment so do not worry and hope for the best and best of luck.

Joe
Mary

Post by Mary »

Hi Joe

You clearly have more experience of this then me so thank you fo rthe reassurance.

To be honest, nieave as it may sound I assumed to be in with a chance you would of atleast had to have finished the whole test without leaving any out. My son assumes because he missed 4 off the VR and guessed about 5 in the maths that he wont pass. He finsihed the whole thing but did say he found it hard.

He was much more confident after he did the Bucks test last month but that seems so along ago now that I find myself laying awake at night wondering juust how well he did do. I must admit I was beginning to feel obssesive until I read so many of the mails on here.

Is there such thing as post 11+ stress!!
Dr. Know

PEPES - no known cure, but treat the symptoms!

Post by Dr. Know »

Mary,

I think many of us battle weary parents suffer from PEPES (Post-Eleven-Plus-Exams-Syndrome :? ) and there is no known remedy.

Look at the positives - you probably have a much greater understanding and bonding with your child and during these last few months you have seen them grow up and mature more closely than ever before. Trust me as they move to secondary education they will fast forward and you will find yourself reminiscing about these (good old) days.

You should also take great comfort from the fact that you and your child working as a team tried your level best and whatever the outcome there was no room for improvement.

It is a sad fact that the majority of parents will be left in March trying to console a bitterly dissappointed child let alone coming to terms with the outcome themselves as parents.

Hope for the best and prepare for the worst!

My eldest was a success story, the next one not so, and my third one will have the exams behind him by this Saturday. So I have seen both sides of the divide and I will be sharing your anguish in the months leading up to March.

Good luck
catherine

Post by catherine »

Hi Mary,

I guess from your post that your son took the Slough exam as well as the Bucks one. My son did the same, and he also found the Bucks exam easy, the Slough one hard. So did his friends. It seems that the Slough paper was a hard one so the pass mark will be lower. Fingers crossed
Mary

Post by Mary »

Dear Dr Know

Thank you so much for those kind words.

You are absolutely right, my son and I have been extrememly close these last few months and although sometimes we have had our 'moments' mainly because I have probably been stressing or pushing too hard, he is so understanding about why and he has given this whole period in is young life 110%. He is afterall just 10(August birthday) and when I look at him running off to school ahead of me and his sister in the mornings I wonder how it can be that he and other children like him have been under such immense pressure, because no matter how we dress it up or try to play it down it IS pressure. It is a real test of any child and parents commitment and if they were awarded points on that I know my son would pass with flyiing colours.

Finally I must say if it wasn't for this webb site I would go mad. It is great to ba able to not only find much needed information but also to share in your anxieties with other people.

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now