What the Standerdised score equates to in % approx.

Advice on 11 Plus NVR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

KenR

Standardised Scores - examples

Post by KenR »

As you will have probably seen from the other references to Standardised Scores, these can vary significantly with age and the specific test.

I'm not sure that the explanation on this site or the NFER links give sufficient information; and certainly no full examples.

I have found some good published examples of the Standardised Scores being applied for Key Stage 2 Tests on the QCA web site:-http://www.qca.org.uk/12422.html

Actual tables are printed out in the results downloads so you can see an example of variance. A word of caution though, the Standardisation varies by exam so the table for individual school or LEA 11+ exams will be different.

Often a Standardised score of around 115 is quoted as an approx. pass for 11+ exams. What's interesting is that if for Key Stage 2 Tests the 'raw' pass would vary between about 72% and 80% depending on age!
Sal

Post by Sal »

It’s an uneasy time with test prep and awaiting results but certain comments viewed as “rude” have been taken too seriously. It goes without saying that all those who frequent this site care about the future of their child/ren. There’s no need to harp on about that (Mel posting).

If I’m being honest, I can understand the thinking behind the “obsessive” and “unhealthy” comment . No matter how knowledgeable/experienced we become at calculating “finite” test scores, we still won’t be able to predict for sure how well our children will perform on the day - too many variables.

Some parents do need to step back for their own good, I’ve had to and it’s not been easy. Of course you need to have an idea of the process etc., but keep in mind that 'knowing too much' may well add to the anxiety.
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

The problem is created by people expressing themselves in forums in a way that they wouldn't dare using face to face with the person. Would anyone at the school gate tell another parent that his/her attidude is obsessive and unhealthy? No, they would not.

Post by Guest »

That is a poor generalisation and is so not the case. Ive heard of and known parents, teachers and the like making far more personal and intrusive comments e.g. going into detail of how things are affecting their child.

If it makes a parent think about how they're approaching things then I dont see what the problem is, quite helpful if anything.
tiggerbabes

How do i know if my child is bright enough to sit the 11 +

Post by tiggerbabes »

Hello

I am just a bit worried! How do you know if your child is bright enough to do the 11+. She done very very well in key stage one and is now in year 5. Just wondering how i know as a parent, or if there is anyone i can talk to? Both my husband and myself went to grammar schools and done very well. I just don't know and am fretting! Please anyone with any help or suggestions. Thanks.
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

Hello tigerbabes,

Some grammar schools require a higher academic level than others. In the areas that are all selective, more children can get a place in a grammar, so the level is not too high. In areas with only a few selective schools, only the very top can get a place. Which area are you looking at?
mel

Post by mel »

Hi TigerBabes

At our school our children were given a CATS test last February. This included Verbal Reasoning, Non verbal and Maths. The test were scored and we parents were invited in to a meeting where we were given our childrens scores. it was explained to us that if our child scored above 110 we should consider them for the 11+ if they were below 100 they should not be doing the 11+. This was a good indicator as it was early on and so was supposed to get a good indication of a childs ability before they had been tutored. Having said that lots of children start tuition very early, a year before so they will of scored higher. My son was in the above average and had not had tution so we felt comfortable in putting him forward. If your school does this then you will get a good idea. The other thing to bare in mind is whre is your child now in realtion to classes. The children at our school who have just passed have all been around the top sets in English and Maths so that is an indication they will cope with a Grammar school. You could try giving your daughter a test using NFER papers from WH Smiths and see how she does now but bare in mind techinique practsie is needed in some of the questions. I've puts some tips on the TIPS thread.

Mel
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

You are lucky to have a school that discusses 11+ before hand, Mel. Our school refuses to help in anyway, and to give a precise assessment of the pupil level before the end of year 5. You are frowned upon if you try to get something more precise than 'your child is doing well'.

Post by Guest »

It is very odd the way children in this country are, on the one had expected to do brilliantly well at school and on the other, not to acknowledge this, just in case it upsets someone else. It must be hard to be a child right now. Those with special needs at the other end of the spectrum are recognised, identified and (sometimes) helped. However, those with special needs at the top end are rarely identified, and in the state sector, rarely helped to achieve their best. But I do blame league tables that focus on scores at GCSE grade C and above. This means schools need only teach up to grade C as none of the higher grades count - this could be changing though - is this what value added is all about. It is a pity that the govt wants to change things, but parents don't understand what they are changing to.

My son has spent a long time bored in school, i just hope that he hasn't forgotten what it is to work hard when he gets to secondary school
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Catherine

Have to disagree with you re your comment

'In areas that are all selective, more children can get a place in grammar, so the level is not too high'

Agree if only a few selective schools only the top can get a place. But it doesn't mean that areas such as Bucks 'dumb' down the tests. Approx just over 30% of children can have a grammar place, but if they don't meet the required standard, they will not get a place. The pass mark is not brought down to cater for the number of places.

Patricia
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now