What the Standerdised score equates to in % approx.

Advice on 11 Plus NVR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now

Post by Guest »

The 15 is the standard deviation from the mean on a normal distribution. In education, 15 is normally used as the SD. However, the 12.5 is the SD taken from the sample of children taking the test. Hence, it is impossible to use this very crude calculation to work out how well your child will do, as you need to have the data from all the other children taking the test to work out the SD. I believe that the calculation was taken from the NFER website which is merely an example to show how standardisation works.

Standard deviation is a measure of spread and shows how people's ability tends to cluster around a certain point - in terms of IQ, the point is 100.

Hope you follow all this!
Confused

Post by Confused »

Ok Einstein, I have read your posting a few times and still not understood it. :( I may not be the only one, so how about having another crack at explaining it, please.

Post by Guest »

If you are going to be rude, why bother - read the NFER website yourself.
smoky

11+ standardising

Post by smoky »

:oops: have just finished a nfer 11+ verbal paper with my son and found this site while looking to see how to standardise it. this site is brilliant and shll be looking at it constantly untill janurary :!: :x :o :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Post by Guest »

Is it really necessary to know the finite calculations. No one can predict the method for sure.

OK, so it’s good to gauge how well your child is doing but all this sounds obsessive and unhealthy - perhaps more for the parent than the child.

Post by Guest »

Are rude comments really necessary?
Mel

calculations

Post by Mel »

In responce to the guest who says trying to work out a childs score is unhealthy. I have to say that is exactly what makes us healthy!!

Ofcourse as caring parents who want the best for our children we are going to wonder. We're anxious. We are HUMAN! It is afterall a very stressful time. We want our kids to do well otherwise we would not of encouraged them to do the test in the first place. And yes it is for us parents too. WE want our kids to have the best chance in education and in thier whole life that is possible. I don't believe anyone would put thier child up for it just for the childs sake knowing that they were not going to support them in it.
Wanting to know how well your child does in anything IS healthy. That doesnt make us 'OBSESSIVE'. IT makes us normal good parents.

Infact as this Forum is really for all of us 'Obsessives' perhaps you should leave it as I clearly you don't need any reassurance at all!!

Mel

Post by Guest »

I am the guest who tried to explain about standard deviation (won't bother again though). I just wanted to say that I think parents can get a bit obsessed about secondary school, after all, the decision about which school to send your child to, is an important one: it could have repercussions throughout a child's life. I am a maths teacher in a secondary school and although I always believed in comprehensive education, I must say, that my opinions have changed. May be it is age, or may be it is just that my children are involved, but is it a very worrying time. I see what happens in schools everyday and I just don't want my child to be a part of it. May be it is a very personal thing (like doctors saying to their children - never be a doctor), but I would fight tooth and nail to get my children into grammar school, and if they don't get in - I am going private and I am not ashamed to say this - I believe in education and I think everyone should have the same opportunity, but unfortunately they don't.

So, obsessed - yes, I think I am at the moment, just like sometimes, I am obsessed with Coronation Street, or Pride and Prejudice, or even Harry Potter, but unhealthy - not when my child is involved.

I don't what this has to do with verbal reasoning though!
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

Mel, do you know if NVR carries as much weight as the two other subjects for the final score in Slough? The test is only 20mn so I was wondering.
Mel

Post by Mel »

Hi Catherine

We were told at at our school, children need 75% correct across the three tests so if they were better at one, then this may make up for not doing aswell in another. Saying that when I called Herscel I was told that 66% would be about right.

Only 4 days unitil Friday for the Bucks results!! and I understand the Slough one will be out on the 8th.

KR

Mel
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now