Bond 10 minute tests 10-11+ explanation needed

Advice on 11 Plus NVR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Goldens Mum

Bond 10 minute tests 10-11+ explanation needed

Post by Goldens Mum »

Gave DD her weekly 10 minute NVR test. She normally has no problems with codes, but today, test 11 question 10. (Has lots of shaded circles) She couldn't see it, we couldn't see it and even with the answer we can't figure it out.
:oops:
Help please!
atestingtime

Re: Bond 10 minute tests 10-11+ explanation needed

Post by atestingtime »

Have looked at this question over dinner with 3 sons who all passed Tiffin - we were all puzzled too!

In our opinion there are any number of valid answers - but no definitive or clearly obvious one. There are also any number of ways to argue that the correct answer is so, but again, none that stand out from the rest as more suitable.

I maintain that this make it a bad question: it undermines the child's confidence when they have to spend an inordinate amount of time on a single question and cannot clearly see the answer when it is pointed out to them.

It is a shame that these questions are not picked up by Bond during their proof reading.
Goldens Mum

Post by Goldens Mum »

Glad it's not just us!
Thankfully it hadn't dented DDs confidence at all, after all if her parent can't even see the answer....
I do see your point though and I've email Bond to ask for an explanation.
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

Poor print quality and a lot of information. So here goes!

Just noticed I have put a ring around it which suggests I told DD to ignore it!

First letter only one pair, BB, so proceed with caution, common feature one large black ball or two small white.

Second letter two XX and two YY, looks better, XX two white different sizes, YY nothin!

Eeek!

Test shape, two large white so extrapolate two small white as two white the same, gives B.., only one B.. answer, so I say BZ, answer e. Trying to double check what does Z mean, no idea.

Book says, answer a, me fail!

Rubbish question. :)

Lesson to learn, in a timed section NVR test apply the logic, best guess and move on. :shock:
fm

Post by fm »

I agree it is not a great question.

My interpretation is that B refers to, going from the bottom, 3small balls followed by a big black one, A refers to 3small balls followed by another small, D refers to 2small balls followed by one black, and C refers to 2small balls followed by one big white one.

This means ours would be C.

Then X refers to the top two balls running diagonal from left to right , Z refers to top two balls going diagonally from right to left and finally Y refers to top two balls curling round from the top in a circular manner.

This would make ours Y.

This is actually the right answer but I would not have come up with it in a test. In fact, within 25 seconds, I would do what I tell my students to do--guess and move on.
Goldens Mum

Post by Goldens Mum »

Thanks. That explanation seems to make sense, though obscure.
I'm still working on DDs mindset, she is quite stubborn/perstitent (choose which depending in situation) and won't give up easily. Hopefully this can at least serve a purpose if teaching her that sometime it's good to move on. I have got nearly two years to beat it out of her, good job I'm stubborn too!
fm

Post by fm »

Tenacity and determination are great characteristics for doing well in secondary school so I would not try to change her fundamentally. Just make her understand that, for the purposes of 11 plus, no question should take longer than a set time. If it is taking longer, chances are they are going to get it wrong, anyway, and all the time spent could have been used answering 5 more down the line. Once they understood how this works, most children will suspend their nomal practice and be prepared to 'guess and move on' for the purposes of doing well in the 11 plus.
Goldens Mum

Post by Goldens Mum »

:D I don't think I could ever get rid of the stubborn streak, it's a family trait!
Still it might make it interesting when she reaches her teens. I pointed out that she should move on and why. Hopefully she'll realise that in time.
Goldens Mum

Post by Goldens Mum »

Got an email from Bond yesterday.

"Thank you very much for contacting our Customer Support Team regarding a
problem in one of our Bond books.

You are absolutely right to point out that there is an error with this
particular question. We will take steps to correct it at the next
reprint of the book.

All our publications go through a series of the most rigorous checking
procedures, but unfortunately errors of this nature occasionally slip
through.

We are most grateful that you sent us your feedback and we can only
apologise for the inconvenience that has been caused.

If you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact us
again."

So I guess that answers that question..... :lol:
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now