Non-Verbal Reasoning Definition?? Help!

Advice on 11 Plus NVR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Debby1967

Non-Verbal Reasoning Definition?? Help!

Post by Debby1967 »

Hi All

I am currently in preperation for a Kent Appeal on 6th June and as my daughter scored well in her non verbal reasoning I have been looking for a definition etc online for NonVerbal Reasoning - without much success!

I wondered if anyone had come across one elsewhere or knew what it is?

To help my appeal is based on a very strong level 5 English and Maths, but her head teacher and class 6 teacher have both said that she has a real drive and strength in IT and Science - even likely to achieve level 6 SAts for science which I undersatnd is quite difficault in Primary School??

So I am trying to balance off what the definition is with her strengths and going to do the same with the Non Verbal and maths too!

Thanks for your help
Sally-Anne

Re: Non-Verbal Reasoning Definition?? Help!

Post by Sally-Anne »

There are some pretty solid explanations on the NFER website:

Non-Verbal: http://www.nfer.ac.uk/nfer/research/ass ... -tests.cfm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Verbal: http://www.nfer.ac.uk/nfer/research/ass ... -tests.cfm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I will see if I can dig up anything else for you, but my advice would be not to get too bogged down in this for the appeal. Panel members will know what the difference is, and if you can demonstrate that your daughter's greatest strengths lie in scientific and technical subjects, that should be enough to explain the difference in scores.

The key phrase in the NFER definition of VR is probably the second part of this: "the view of verbal reasoning tests as fixed measures of potential has declined and they are now better regarded as measures of reasoning which reflect a person’s educational experiences up to the time of testing."
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now