NFER v. BOND

Advice on 11 Plus NVR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now

NFER v. BOND

Post by Guest »

Can anyone tell me whether their children considered Bond NVR easier or harder than NFER NVR. Or are they too different to be able to make that comparison.

Thank you
Bakersdozen

Post by Bakersdozen »

Bond is not really comparable, in my experience, with NFER. It doesn't ask the same question types.

Plus you have to consider if your schools exam paper is Mutiple choice or not. Lots of the Bond questions are not able to be answered by multiple choice OMR and are therefore not used in LEA's who will test via M/C.

That said they are a good intro in an easy to use format for the learning stages of NVR but I reckon m/c NFER papers are the gold standard!
jmass

Post by jmass »

My daughter used only bond books and the nfer practise papers to get her through the 11plus. She found nvr and vr bond papers more difficult than the real thing..which boosted her confidence in a strange kind of way.
..and the fact she had a choice of answers in the real paper also made it easier for her.
On the actual day of her exams (nov. 06) all the children she knew were muttering about a "type of question " they'd never seen before in the nvr and "none of them could do it"....however she was totally unable to give me any more information about this so that's a fat lot of good to you all!!!
ayuaran

Re: NFER v. BOND

Post by ayuaran »

Anonymous wrote:Can anyone tell me whether their children considered Bond NVR easier or harder than NFER NVR. Or are they too different to be able to make that comparison.

Thank you
Mum2007

Post by Mum2007 »

I have been using Bond books with my child, does that mean i got the wrong books and should purchase NFER Multiple choice papers??

I'm not sure if i'm using the correct books then?

Cheers
sj355

Prize for the most difficult NVR paper ever!

Post by sj355 »

Bond are generally far more difficult than NFER papers. Having said that, I have now seen a plethora of different NVRs by different editors, and in my opinion the prize for the most difficult NVR ever should go to :

NFER NVR paper 11A

To this day there are still some questions which I do not know why the answer to them is the one given in the asnwer booklet.

However, I remain open to alternative suggestions and nominations!
sj355

Post by Guest »

What is the problem with this?
What do you want to know the solution for?
sj355

Post by sj355 »

Anonymous wrote:What is the problem with this?
What do you want to know the solution for?
I know the solutions. I also suspect why they are what they are and the reasons why they are the correct ones. I just do not agree with the reasons! Happily I did not have a reason to look at them again since January 2007. I am more than happy with 11B,C,D papers which I all find easy and straighforward. It's just this paper...!
sj355
neurotic kent mum

Post by neurotic kent mum »

I agree - sent me into total panic just before 11+.
thehorder

Bond v NFER

Post by thehorder »

I have only just found this site, hoping I have not left it all too late.. I spent a fortune on all the bond books, not in the multiple choice format, only to realise that our 11+ is multiple choice... have I made a mistake or will this still be good practise. Also they are Bond Advance and my daughter does find them difficult sometimes and I do not want to put her off. Should I have bought NFER.

The horder