Dd is struggling with NVR

Advice on 11 Plus NVR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

sonasona

Dd is struggling with NVR

Post by sonasona »

Any advice welcome....

Dd is pretty good at VR but NVR is proving challenging :(

Any tips for correcting those silly mistakes or remembering what you should be actually looking for?

Shall I run through the Bond 'How to do' book with her? She really wants to do well herself next year and I don't want her confidence getting down :(
Tinkers

Re: Dd is struggling with NVR

Post by Tinkers »

Try the AE tuition books, they start quite basic and slowly work through what they need to look at.

Also remember SPANSS

Space
Position
Angle
Number
Size
Shading
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

Agree try AE they teach the language of NVR in a graded way. No need to work through both books and all levels but skim through to plug the gaps and build confidence. Used AE with all three of my DC and it seemed to work, gave a structure to my tuition.
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Hello

One of the biggest things my ds3 does diff to his bruvs...He is v quick, they were not so...is to make sure he sticks rigidly to looking for the same thing, OR looking for different things, as the question dictates. He never flits about looking for the same things in one picture and spotting something different in another. I used to swap about along the pictures, but since adopting his rigid regime I can (nearly) keep up with him. :lol:
sonasona

Post by sonasona »

Thank you all, we will give it a try and here's hoping it all comes together soon :wink:
CrossCountryMum

Post by CrossCountryMum »

I'll try those tips for DS too. VR is great, NVR is def our weak area. :(

Is it possible to improve NVR to any extent?
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

At the risk of contradicting southbucks3..... I found the answer in the end with my DD was quite simple: she had gone through all the types and learned different patterns/angles/progressions to look for but when working through practice papers sometimes got stuck looking for the wrong thing. I suddenly realised she expected every question to follow a formula or pattern she knew, so I just told her to have an open mind and, hey presto, her scores improved dramatically.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Does the a e n material use the 8 g l assessment types for nvr?
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

The AE books are a different approach. It's more looking at different types of shapes, lines, sizes etc.
It then increases the difficulty, so to start with, only one thing changes, then two things, so building up gradually rather than being thrown in the deep end of practise papers. At the end five different things change. It doesn't matter that you are looking at sequences, matrices or odd one out types.

We didn't use it much as DD just got NVR, so I never really did much with her. She could do them better than me tbh. She was a bit slow with sequences, so used the books then to see if she could develop a technique to improve her speed, and it helped her be a bit more methodical with those types.

Tbh, although there are 8 types, they are mostly similar. It's not like VR were the types are vastly different. I suppose NVR codes are different from the rest and need a different technique (covered in the book) but I think the others are more variations on a theme.

The AE books don't cover cubes/nets iirc. Again they are very different.
Stocky

Post by Stocky »

DS didn't so much struggle, but was more inconsistent, he could score 90% one day and 50% the next. I have found with NVR that, you really have to go back to question types and the approach needed and get to the root of it. Codes are stand alone, odd one out and which shape is most like etc require the same approach, sequences, grids and pairs also require the same approach. Technique is key. GL's guide is spot on.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now