Dd is struggling with NVR

Advice on 11 Plus NVR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

mystery

Re: Dd is struggling with NVR

Post by mystery »

Goodness that was a quick improvement. To get that score this early in year 5 is great isn't it? Which GL paper was that? Which tips worked for you in the last few days of this thread? How do you find the time after school to have made such a surge forward and do another paper? wow.
sonasona

Post by sonasona »

mystery wrote:Goodness that was a quick improvement.
Thank you.
mystery wrote:To get that score this early in year 5 is great isn't it?
Its certainly a good feeling :)
mystery wrote:Which GL paper was that?
I'm not sure what the pack is called but I think there is a giraffe on the front cover and it was paper 11C
mystery wrote:Which tips worked for you in the last few days of this thread?
Got the A&E book and she did a few pages from it with her elder sister's guidance. Set her a target of 90% plus in NVR and bribed her with a few small treats, told her elder sister she'll get a treat for giving her a few handy tips on what to look out for!
mystery wrote:How do you find the time after school to have made such a surge forward and do another paper?
They still attend out of school clubs and watch telly like normal kids. Dd is focused though and will do something if she has too. When her elder sister did 11+ a couple of years back she would take note and challenge herself too, that's just her all round, strives to be better. Don't worry, small steps at a time and it will all come together.......we have a long time to go yet and no doubt will see this through to the end together :)
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Glad the AE books have helped.
elevenplusprep

Post by elevenplusprep »

One type of questions (odd ones out) is the one you should be careful about. My DS used to do these kind of questions correctly in begining of preperation but at later stages he started getting them wrong. And the main reason was that he would use his own logic to find the difference which would be quite different from what the book would say. Many of the times I have to agree with his logic and give him marks for that. Sometime there were subtle difference but it will bring him to wrong answers as per book.
Never argue with your kid just on the basis that he is getting different answer. Just check for his way of thinking also and if you feel that his way also is not wrong then do appreciate his effort and discuss his logic and how the book got the answer.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Hopefully the exam is well-constructed so that there is only one possible answer? Disaster otherwise really. This is maybe why GL and CEM charge so much for their tests (or maybe they keep them so secret because the questions are not that good?).
wildwest

Post by wildwest »

Sonasona

That's great progress. Are you timing DD on them as they suggest, section by section?
sonasona

Post by sonasona »

Thanks wildwest, we are on the right track now.

Not timing individual sections as she is getting the Bond 5th papers done in time (30 secs per question).
PurpleDog

Post by PurpleDog »

I am reassured by this thread. We are slogging through the first GL NVR paper and it is a real struggle.
DD is there or thereabouts in all the other subjects but not really getting NVR at the moment.
I know this is always going to be her weak subject but will need to improve dramatically to stand a chance.
At the moment she is only completing about half of the questions in the time and making loads of mistakes too.
:(
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

The first GL NVR paper is a bit of a nightmare. See sticky on IIA on NVR thread.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now