Recommend harder NVR books than Bond

Advice on 11 Plus NVR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
fatbananas

Recommend harder NVR books than Bond

Post by fatbananas »

Hi, can anyone recommend NVR books which are harder than the Bond series? DS doesn't do too badly at the Bond papers but the GL papers seem more tricky, so I'd like something that bridged the gap between Bond and GL.

Thank you!
Seize the day ... before it seizes you.
Tinkers

Re: Recommend harder NVR books than Bond

Post by Tinkers »

I don't think the GL ones are harder than bond as such, just subtlely different. I found that DD got better scores on GL than the bond papers.
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

Thanks for replying Tinkers.

Do you think that it's just getting used to a particular publisher? Or that one style suits one child more than another?

Did you do the GL papers more than once? If so, did scores improve? :? :)
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Tbh her scores were always pretty good, she never had any issues with NVR really. I just found she scored a few percent higher on GL than Bond, until she had done more of the bond assessment papers.

I think it is just getting used to a slightly different style. I think they focus on slightly different things, but that could be a good thing.
Oblique

Post by Oblique »

We don't have the Bond books but used Letts instead. I don't know how these compare to Bond but they are easier than the NVR app we have. The GL 'How to NVR' book is much easier than the GL papers but it has been useful for the areas where DS struggles, to show him how to work through the question logically. When DS1 did his first GL paper at Christmas (paper 1), he did badly on some of the question types. We shall see how he does at Easter when I will get him to do another GL paper!

DS is getting better with practice but I don't want to spend too much time on NVR since we only know the paper will be 'Reasoning'. VR and Comprehension need a lot more time! DS has a puzzle book for variety and he enjoyed the first Prof Layton DS game, though he needed help with some of the puzzles.

My DS is also really good at some NVR types and rubbish at others!
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

Thanks Tinkers and Oblique. DS doing Bond 10-11 Book 1 paper 6 right now, before going swimming. We'll see how he gets on.

Oblique: which test is your DC sitting? Is it Kent?
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

So, DS got 82% in 1 hour, not the recommended 45 mins. He'd probably have made more mistakes if he'd rushed it a bit. I can't wait to see the format of the new Kent Test, to see if they are stopped and started at the end of each section, or whether they can just keep going through. I THINK, though not sure, that the KT used to stop and start DC at the end of each section?
Oblique

Post by Oblique »

Well done to your DS; 82% is fantastic. Were all the errors of one question type or scattered? The advice I have been given is to work on accuracy and getting the answers correct first, then to work on speed. There are still 6 months to work on both! My DS is resisting my half hearted attempts to get him to do anything relating to work today and is currently playing with his Lego. Sorry, my mistake, I have been informed that he has done a Sudoku puzzle today, as he whizzed through to the garden to play football with DD2! It is nice to see the kids outside after all the wet weather we have had, though.

Yes, we are in Kent. I am also looking forward to finding out more about the new test as I find not knowing very frustrating. The 11+ seems to be a taboo subject round here with the Year 5 parents, so thank heavens for this forum and my friends with DCs in year 6 and 7.

I suspect you are right, FB, about the starting and stopping of the old format as the GL NVR practice papers state 'Wait until you are told to go on' after the practice questions and 'Do not turn over until you are told to do so' at the end of each section.
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

He did very very badly in the nets of cubes section! Only one right. He did better than usual in the odd one out section, so either it was an easy paper, or he's improving!

I didn't time him per section though, so know he sped through some and took an age over others. I think his scores will drop dramatically if I did :? I wonder how I get him to speed up generally and maintain/ increase accuracy :?

I know what you mean about wanting them to be out in the sunshine, now we've got it. I used his Dad taking him swimming as an incentive to work on it at all! :wink:
2Girlsmum

Post by 2Girlsmum »

If it's a GL exam he won't need cube nets. Try IPS NVR. Similar to GL, and DD1 though that a couple of their questions turned up in tests.