ideas for teaching nvr

Advice on 11 Plus NVR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
yoyo123

ideas for teaching nvr

Post by yoyo123 »

There seems so much available for vr and maths but not so much for non verbal reasoning.

I've been doing the compund word games and there are some good synonym/antonym games on t'internet. and we have been working hard on times tables games and mental maths

Any similar ideas to reinforce nvr other than just practice, practice, practice???
stevew61

Re: ideas for teaching nvr

Post by stevew61 »

yoyo123 wrote:There seems so much available for vr and maths but not so much for non verbal reasoning.
Hi yoyo123,

Had the same experience last year also noticed that nvr scores are greatly affected by lack of sleep.

If you have time and I do with my younger two then the Bond age graded books are good also the various technique books. By starting early, just putting on my tin hat for the incoming flak, I have used the bond books as puzzle books, we sit and discuss the questions, which is the right answer and why? My year one daughter and year three boy are on nvr for 8-9 year olds and coping :oops: . Have put the books to one side until halfterrm as they are getting tired with autumn term syndrome.

NVR is much harder to teach than VR as NVR does not rely on learnt information, but you can improve scores by familiarisation and learning technique.

My eleven year old is capable of doubling my score in half the time and then has to explain to me questions that I do not get, often he can see the answer but I have to plod through and work it out, makes him feel good :D

stevew61
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

Hi yoyo,

What was working for my son was to sit together and ask him to explain how he got the answers, and then of course discuss it.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Thanks.

I haven't looked at the bond books, will do

I so agree at looking at them as puzzles.

We have been looking at some of the transformation ones, actually drawing the shape on a white board and then rotating it until we found the match (or opposite) I have also photocopied the questions and then cut out the shape. Once we have done it physically then move on in tryiong to do them without the actual manipulation (in your head)

I have go 2 pupils who share a session at the moment. one is a natural at verbal reasoning (girl) and the other is much faster at nvr (boy)
. :?: [.interesting discucssion topic on gender here :?: ....]

so I mahoping we can get some good discussion going.

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now