Flummoxed

Advice on 11 Plus NVR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Dubious

Flummoxed

Post by Dubious »

[quote][/quote]Hi all.
Would appreciate if some bright spark could help me out with the following two questions. Cannot work out the correct answers, sorry!

The questions I am stuck on are 11 and 12.
In 11, I see that the bottom-most shape is being placed on the top with each step.
However, if that were the case then...surely the white triangle should sit on top of the long stick in the fourth move...there does not seem to be such an option though???

Totally lost on 12.

Snowdrops

Re: Flummoxed

Post by Snowdrops »

Which book/author is it from?
kittymum

Post by kittymum »

Is 12 a?

And 11 e?
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

Hi again:

The questions come from GL Assessment 11+ Practice Papers. (Pack 7)
The answers are 11 e, 12 d.
However, I can't figure out the underlying logic :oops: .
kittymum

Post by kittymum »

11 is just keeping the shapes in the same order

Is 12 that if you draw a line from each point of the big triangle it will cut the shape on the inside into the same shape each time?
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

11. I got right, but not sure how really, looking at the association between shapes?....awful puzzle
12. I got wrong, but now it's obvious ...a lines of symmetry thing, as kitty mum has described....but I only just read her description.

Son 3 got all on sheet right :evil: he is freaky, I just wish he could learn his Times tables properly or how to spell!
kittymum

Post by kittymum »

Lines of symmetry! That's the technical term I was searching for :lol: :lol:

I generally like NVR but the last one was rather obtuse - certainly wouldn't have worked it out in a time pressured environment (and I got it wrong first time - a guess!) - to work it out in a test would have just taken too long after counting sides etc - things like that you either know instantly or imo it's not worth trying to work out.

Can't remember if I've said before but an amazing English teacher I know (one of the best teachers I've ever seen) feels NVR is the best predictor of her future A and A* students ...
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

Thanks for the explanation of No. 12.

However, I am still lost on No. 11.
Can someone spell out the reason why "e" is the correct answer, please?
If it were a matter of keeping the shapes in the same order, then surely the order would be...

Eiffel Tower (sorry, can't think of a technical term for that shape) --> circle --> stick --> triangle

Sorry to be an outright pain on this one, but not getting it is bugging me greatly.

One month and 24 days left of this fun!!
kittymum

Post by kittymum »

Try not to think of the shapes as in a linear sequence - think of them in a circle (so no beginning or ending) - the sequence could start with any shape and is triangle, tower, circle, stick, - they all follow that cyclical sequence.

(or tower, circle, stick, triangle; circle, stick, triangle, tower; stick, triangle, tower, circle - if arranged in a circle all would be the same)
hasmum

Post by hasmum »

Hi,
I asked dd to have a look, for q11, dd seems to think that the shaded Eiffel tower is always on top of the plain triangle therefore it is e. For q12 my dd seems to think it is 12d because the difference between the outer triangle and the inner shape is either 0 or 3 corners.

I did NVR with ds in 2011 so bit rusty, getting back into it with dd now. Well this is our answer/explanation.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now