Flummoxed

Advice on 11 Plus NVR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

hasmum

Re: Flummoxed

Post by hasmum »

sorry forgot to add Kittymum's explanation would apply to all the shapes if you drew a line in the middle???
kittymum

Post by kittymum »

hasmum wrote:sorry forgot to add Kittymum's explanation would apply to all the shapes if you drew a line in the middle???
No you draw all 3 lines of symmetry in the large triangle- one from each point of the large triangle - each line results in the same line of symmetry within the smaller shapes iykwim - d is the only one where this will happen. It's deffo lines of symmetry - anything else has too many variables and would also allow for the oval.

Your dd's explanation re the tower would work in this case but could lead to being "tricked" in similar things, far easier to think of it as a cyclical sequence :D
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

Thanks, I think I finally understand.
For Q11, I was looking for the next in the linear sequence, but you've managed to point out the error of my ways.
Our poor 10-year-olds!!

Thanks again for all your patience and help.
kittymum

Post by kittymum »

Dubious wrote:Thanks, I think I finally understand.
For Q11, I was looking for the next in the linear sequence, but you've managed to point out the error of my ways.
Our poor 10-year-olds!!

Thanks again for all your patience and help.
No problems (I'm odd I rather like NVR) - they're so annoying when you can't "see" why it's something aren't they :D

With NVR the rule will always be one thing (not either this or that) and will always apply in exactly the same way.

But yes our poor 10 year olds!

My top tip is don't over think them and just work on time e.g 2 x Bond 10 mins tests done in 1 x 10 min.
hasmum

Post by hasmum »

Kittymum I had to get to the bottom of this :lol: I went and dug out the NVR pack sitting in the box from the time my ds was doing his 11 plus few yrs back. We haven't looked at them as yet but are working through the packs in order of difficulty.

The answer is 12d and even though the others don't have explanations, at the bottom it says [i]Solution rule q12[/i]: Entire shape is centrally symmetrical on all three sides.

You were right Kittymum :D
dingding

Post by dingding »

My ds attempted this paper yesterday, he didn't get q11& 12 right.
Thankfully I had read this thread and could therefore explain how the correct answers were derived (thank you).

Strangely when DS and I do work through NVR, his solutions to the questions are often quite bizarre. The answers are correct, but his reasoning is very strange; appears to have no logic except to him of course. I'm not concerned as his answers are correct, but I just don't know how he does it!
dumbdad

Post by dumbdad »

Took me ages to work out no.11. Only answer I can see is arrow shape above triangle in e, below it in other pics.

Glad it's ds doing these, not me
kittymum

Post by kittymum »

With 11 try drawing them in a circle - they always follow the same sequence. It's a lot easier to "see" if you put it unto a circle.