NVR 11A - Can someone please explain

Advice on 11 Plus NVR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

PM70

NVR 11A - Can someone please explain

Post by PM70 »

Hi there,

NVR 11A really is the toughest paper there is. My son has just done it for the second time and still only got 78% - he usually scores around the 85% mark.

Anyway with the help of the answer booklet we have worked out how to do most of them - after three months of practicing he is now better at working them out than I am - but we are stumped with one question. It is section 2 question 4. I have been staring at it for ages now and still cannot work out why 'c' is the answer.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

Now I'm intrigued. Haven't got the foggiest what the answer is and have just asked my husband and 9, 11 and 13 year old boys and none of them knows either!

I do agree that 11A NVR is the hardest paper in the world. Being the first paper in the pack I've done that one first when practising with my eldest and middle sons and panicked on each occasion and how difficult it was! Maybe when it comes to son No. 3 I might remember and leave that one until last!
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

Bexley Mum 2 wrote: Maybe when it comes to son No. 3 I might remember and leave that one until last!
Hi BM2,

son No. 3 I, you are prodigious. :D :D :D

Looked in my box file NFER NVR 11A multi-choice, answer sheet Q4 section 2 and we have a dot next to c meaning we agreed it was the right answerer. Paper has been disposed of as we used a "crossing out method" making it to marked to re-use. Will re-purchase the papers soon.

However I do recall that we disagreed with some/many answers, it's best to learn techniques ( hard when their is ambiguity ) as it is the "transferable skills" that your child will use in the exam. Hope that makes sense.

stevew61

[/quote]
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

PM70 - this is really bugging me now! On the used question paper we have one of my sons has circuled e as the answer. I can see why he might think this as the only pattern I can see is that on each horizontal row the 3rd box has one less shape than the preceding two.

But I wonder if trying to find a logical pattern is the wrong approach and it's one of those dastardly ones where the right answer is the right answer because it can't be any of the others (if you see what i mean!). It's not likely to be a or d because they both contain shapes which only appear in the middle row. It's not likely to be b because the bottom line has black and white shapes. And it's not likely to be e because none of the shapes changes colour.

But somebody, please, put me out of my misery and come up with a decent explanation!! Not quite sure why it's me puzzling over NVR questions when the son who's sitting the exam refuses to take an interest!
PM70

Post by PM70 »

Thanks for all the replies - I guess they kind of make sense although how you could possibly work that out in 30 seconds I do not know.

Oh well not worth worrying about at this late stage I guess. This time next week it will all be over :lol:
hbsmum

Post by hbsmum »

In each row the contents of the right-hand box is found by finding the objects common to both the first two boxes. That is in the top row the first box contains a rectangle and a tombstone. The middle box contains a keyhole and a tombstone. The tombstone is the only object in both the first two boxes so that is what is put into the last box. The same pattern continues with the middle and bottom row. What is in both of the first two boxes? Put that into the third.
There is also another pattern concerning the position of shapes, but that doesn't need to be worked out to find the answer. This is already incredibly long-winded.
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

hbsmum - you are SO clever!!
JaysDarlin

Post by JaysDarlin »

I am so grateful to this website for all the past posts. Last years posts are coming in so handy - we were stumped on this Q and i knew i would get help here!

Thanks to everyone, including past parents! God Bless You All!

Sara.
dadofkent

Post by dadofkent »

JaysDarlin wrote:
Thanks to everyone, including past parents! God Bless You All!

Sara.
Could someone please advise me when I become a past parent, I will arrange the party. :)