Help with this coding question please...

Advice on 11 Plus NVR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
nikkidev

Help with this coding question please...

Post by nikkidev »

Morning everyone,

Some questions have absolutely stumped me. They are from a Bond book... Can you shed any light on how to do these? The double sets of letter codes threw me especially.

The question says: Which code matches the shape or pattern given at the end of each line? Underline the answer.

But there are five patterns going across the page. Beneath each pattern there are two sets of codes such as these. Sorry, I can't seem to add an attachment..

AX BY CX BZ ?

AY CZ BX CY AZ

a b c d e

Apparently the correct answer is c - but I've not a clue how one would get to that answer. Feeling incredibly stupid! Can you help please?

Nikki
PurpleDuck

Re: Help with this coding question please...

Post by PurpleDuck »

I may well be wrong, but my thinking is as follows:

If the answer is c = BX, the sequence would look like this:
AX BY CX BZ BX

This then could be one of those questions where two sequences are merged together, i.e. sequence 1 would be AX CX BX and sequence 2 would be BY BZ. In sequence 1 only the first letter changes, the second letter is always X. In sequence 2 the first letter is always B and the second letter changes.

I've found that with sequences, either letter codes or numerical, it's always worth trying to see if they maybe be the 'double' type ones if they don't seem to make any sense otherwise. :D

The above comes with a big disclaimer - my logic would apply to the code if it were just a VR type of question, but I have no idea how it relates to the patterns you mentioned... Is it the case that you have to figure out the VR part of the question first and then the corresponding shape/pattern would be the answer?
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
nikkidev

Post by nikkidev »

PurpleDuck wrote:I may well be wrong, but my thinking is as follows:

If the answer is c = BX, the sequence would look like this:
AX BY CX BZ BX

This then could be one of those questions where two sequences are merged together, i.e. sequence 1 would be AX CX BX and sequence 2 would be BY BZ. In sequence 1 only the first letter changes, the second letter is always X. In sequence 2 the first letter is always B and the second letter changes.

I've found that with sequences, either letter codes or numerical, it's always worth trying to see if they maybe be the 'double' type ones if they don't seem to make any sense otherwise. :D

The above comes with a big disclaimer - my logic would apply to the code if it were just a VR type of question, but I have no idea how it relates to the patterns you mentioned... Is it the case that you have to figure out the VR part of the question first and then the corresponding shape/pattern would be the answer?
Thanks so much for replying. The problem is that it is a non verbal question, so it's unclear whether one would apply VR logic to it. ... Even with the answer, it is unclear how someone would arrive at it. I'm a logical person, and yet just can't see how to do it.

The patterns go as follow: a circle with stripes slanting right, b is oval lying horizontal with squares inside. C is a vertical oval shape with the same strip shading as a. D is a horizontal oval shape with horizontal stripes/lines while e is the same shape as b and c with the same shading as c. Argh!
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

nikkidev wrote:Thanks so much for replying. The problem is that it is a non verbal question, so it's unclear whether one would apply VR logic to it. ... Even with the answer, it is unclear how someone would arrive at it. I'm a logical person, and yet just can't see how to do it.

The patterns go as follow: a circle with stripes slanting right, b is oval lying horizontal with squares inside. C is a vertical oval shape with the same strip shading as a. D is a horizontal oval shape with horizontal stripes/lines while e is the same shape as b and c with the same shading as c. Argh!
Patterns/shapes sequences can also be made of two alternating sequences, the same as with letter codes.

Can you please confirm the shape descriptions? You've said that 'e is the same shape as b and c', but b is an oval lying horizontally, while c is a vertical oval shape, which means it's impossible for e to be the same as b and c, as they are both different... Or did you mean the same as b and d, in which case it would be a horizontally lying oval with stripes slanting right?

Also, are the five shapes you are describing the options to choose from? If they are, what does the actual question look like? Just the letter codes?

I am a bit confused about what you can see on the page with the question, but it may well be that shapes 1,3 and 5 are different but have the same internal shading in common (slanting stripes), while shapes 2 and 4 have different shading (one has squares inside and the other horizontal lines) but they are both horizontally lying ovals... That would be similar logic as in my first reply with the letter codes.

Did you try to take a picture of the page from your Bond book, saving it on your laptop and inserting as an image into your post? I did that in the past, so it should work - it might be easier to see what's what! :)
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

You need to look at the illustrations. Look at the two which have a letter in common? Do they also have a characteristic in common eg shading, orientation etc.

By doing this you can work characteristic each letter represents

Eg BL may be shaded diamond BT shaded circle XT white circle XL shade diamond etc

It is very difficult to answer without seeing the actual diagrams, but I think this is the type of question you are talking about
nikkidev

Post by nikkidev »

Thanks for sticking with me on this... Sorry to confuse you.

Yes, I have it as a PDF - but guess I can't post that? It's not clear how to upload an image on here. I don't seem to have that option in my message box. Any ideas please?

Thanks so much,

Nikki
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

nikkidev wrote:Thanks for sticking with me on this... Sorry to confuse you.

Yes, I have it as a PDF - but guess I can't post that? It's not clear how to upload an image on here. I don't seem to have that option in my message box. Any ideas please?

Thanks so much,

Nikki
I don't think you can post/attach a pdf, but according to FAQs you can post an image:
Can I post images?
Yes, images can be shown in your posts. If the administrator has allowed attachments, you may be able to upload the image to the board. Otherwise, you must link to an image stored on a publicly accessible web server, e.g. http://www.example.com/my-picture.gif" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. You cannot link to pictures stored on your own PC (unless it is a publicly accessible server) nor images stored behind authentication mechanisms, e.g. hotmail or yahoo mailboxes, password protected sites, etc.
I think you would have to take a photo of the relevant section of the page, upload it somewhere on a public server and copy a link to it into your post. If you can't do that, then we are back to square one describing pictures!

I think yoyo123 had the right idea about how to figure out the answer - you probably need to see what the common themes running through the 5 shapes are and how they compare to the common theme running through the letter codes. In other words, you have to figure out what feature of each shape is represented by each of the letters (it would be either the overall shape or the shading inside).

If you can't post an image and are still unsure why the answer is a 'c', try describing it again, as in:

Line 1 shows shapes: (describe each shape precisely in order as they appear)
Line 2 underneath shows letter codes (I'm guessing here): write them in order as they appear and state which one is missing, i.e. which shape does not have a letter code underneath
Line 3 shows possible answers to chose from: list the options.

Confirm what the question is asking - are you to pick a missing letter code corresponding with one of the five shapes? If it is, then I think I should be able to picture it all if I had the above detail.

This is going back to cavemen times when sharing of images did not exist! :lol:
nikkidev

Post by nikkidev »

PurpleDuck wrote:
nikkidev wrote:Thanks for sticking with me on this... Sorry to confuse you.

Thanks so much,

Nikki
I don't think you can post/attach a pdf, but according to FAQs you can post an image:
Can I post images?
Yes, images can be shown in your posts. If the administrator has allowed attachments, you may be able to upload the image to the board. Otherwise, you must link to an image stored on a publicly accessible web server, e.g. http://www.example.com/my-picture.gif" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. You cannot link to pictures stored on your own PC (unless it is a publicly accessible server) nor images stored behind authentication mechanisms, e.g. hotmail or yahoo mailboxes, password protected sites, etc.
I think you would have to take a photo of the relevant section of the page, upload it somewhere on a public server and copy a link to it into your post. If you can't do that, then we are back to square one describing pictures!

I think yoyo123 had the right idea about how to figure out the answer - you probably need to see what the common themes running through the 5 shapes are and how they compare to the common theme running through the letter codes. In other words, you have to figure out what feature of each shape is represented by each of the letters (it would be either the overall shape or the shading inside).

If you can't post an image and are still unsure why the answer is a 'c', try describing it again, as in:

Line 1 shows shapes: (describe each shape precisely in order as they appear)
Line 2 underneath shows letter codes (I'm guessing here): write them in order as they appear and state which one is missing, i.e. which shape does not have a letter code underneath
Line 3 shows possible answers to chose from: list the options.

Confirm what the question is asking - are you to pick a missing letter code corresponding with one of the five shapes? If it is, then I think I should be able to picture it all if I had the above detail.

This is going back to cavemen times when sharing of images did not exist! :lol:
I've thought that about modern life for quite some time.. :wink: Thanks...

OK, here goes:

The question asks: Which code matches the shape or pattern given at the end of each line? Underline the answer.

There are five shapes from left to write, with two sets of codes beneath them - apart from the final shape with just one code and a question mark.

The shapes a-e denote left to right, if that might make sense?

Line 1 Shape 1 Circle filled with diagonal lines
Line 1 Shape 2 Horizontal oval shape filled with diamond patterns
Line 1 Shape 3 Vertical oval shape filled with diagonal lines
Line 1 Shape 4 Horizontal oval shape filled with horizontal lines
Line 1 Shape 5 Horizontal oval shape filled with diagonal lines

Codes beneath shapes above

Line 2 Shape 1 AX
Line 2 Shape 2 BY
Line 2 Shape 3 CX
Line 2 Shape 4 BZ
Line 2 Shape 5 ?

Codes beneath these

Line 3 Shape 1 AY
Line 3 Shape 2 CZ
Line 3 Shape 3 BX
Line 3 Shape 4 CY
Line 3 Shape 5 AZ

Line 4 Beneath each code (above) from left to right, you see a, b, c, d, e

The correct answer that has been underlined is c. But I can't see why?

If you can help, that would be great. :)
nikkidev

Post by nikkidev »

yoyo123 wrote:You need to look at the illustrations. Look at the two which have a letter in common? Do they also have a characteristic in common eg shading, orientation etc.

By doing this you can work characteristic each letter represents

Eg BL may be shaded diamond BT shaded circle XT white circle XL shade diamond etc

It is very difficult to answer without seeing the actual diagrams, but I think this is the type of question you are talking about
Thanks for replying. Much appreciated! Still trying to make sense of it..
semb

Post by semb »

If I've imagined this correctly....

Each shape has a two letter code underneath it.
From your description the first letter in each pair relates to the shape and its orientation, so:

A = circle
B = horizontal oval
C = vertical oval

As your 5th shape is a horizontal oval the first letter of its code must be B.

The second letter of each code relates to the shading inside the shape.

X = diagonal lines
Y = diamonds
Z = horizontal lines

As your 5th shape has diagonal lines inside the second part of its code is X.

Therefore the correct answer is indeed C which is below the code BX.

I think...
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now