Non verbal reasoning, what does it demonstrate?

Advice on 11 Plus NVR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Complete Novice

Post by Complete Novice »

Dear Concerned Mum

I can understand your worries so easily about the NVR but I think you should take comfort from the school's reaction. There are bound to be other children going to the school with a similar profile to your child. I also remember reading a American article about how it was actually unwise for so many institutions to rely on NVR as although it was considered to be fairer to those who may have English as a second language (and although it clearly shows strong reasoning skills), it is not in fact a very good indicator of someone's potential for academic success. In the opinion of this article (I can't remember where I found it now) a very good NVR score showed distinct aptitude for careers like architecture/ engineering BUT it was the combined quantitive and verbal score which was most indicative of likely academic success. So given that your son's combined score is very impressive, he should do very well.

Best of luck

CM
fm

Post by fm »

I have to agree, too.

One of my best pupils last year was truly dire at non-verbal but I am totally confident she will excel at the grammar school she attained due to her English and maths.

My own daughter, meanwhile, attained grammar school on the back of very good non-verbal and maths scores, but I do not expect her to be a 'top student' due to limited verbal analytical skills.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now