Strategy for NVR

Advice on 11 Plus NVR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Exams2018

Strategy for NVR

Post by Exams2018 »

Dear all,
Please can anyone let me know how I can improve DDs NVR scores? She is in Y4 in a state school. (She never did NVR type work in school)
If you did DIY preps for GL for your children, please can you share your strategy? Other than Bond and CGP, are there any other books that she should be doing?

Thanks!
Tinkers

Re: Strategy for NVR

Post by Tinkers »

AE do a couple of 'how to' books that might help. They go back to basics for NVR.
Exams2018

Post by Exams2018 »

Thanks Tinkers.

I can't find those books on Amazon. Do you have a link or pls can you share the ISBN?

At the moment, DD is doing CGP NVR 9-10 practice book. She is scoring nearly full marks in the assessment tests. I gave her some 10-11 ten min tests - disaster!! She got around 50% !! I'm confused about what I need to do to bring her up to 10-11 level.

We are aiming for Kent schools and newstead wood.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

I don't have them any more, as I gave all our stuff to a friend.
However I think this is the newer version. There's a book 2 available as well.
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/shop/ ... ook-1.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
grgygirl

Post by grgygirl »

You are aiming for the GL assessment style for Kent and probably Newstead as well. At that stage we used Bond 9-10 year old books and the 'How to' do NVR Bond book for familiarisation and getting up to speed. Once ds got through Bond 10-11 we went on to the GL papers in Year 5 (about Nov time). It's just a question then of continual practise with all of the material out there including the First Past the Post books. We also used the spatial reasoning 10 minute tests as these are part of the Kent test. The timing for the VR/NVR/Spatial paper is very tight in Kent - less than 30 seconds per question. Ds found this very difficult so we had to do a lot of papers in Year 5 to get up to speed which was quite tedious! Perhaps look at sitting some mock tests around July of Year 5.
Westminster11

Post by Westminster11 »

NVR is my favourite area of the 11+ to tutor. From experience, I've found that initially pupils find the style of questioning challenging and difficult to comprehend. However, practice practice practice and it always becomes their favourite section of the exam. I recommend the Bond books as well as various online PDF mock exams for 11+ NVR (simply google PDF 11+ non-verbal reasoning). Over time their spatial reasoning and logic will improve and you'll find that their accuracy and speed dramatically improves.

Chris
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now