Are stretch tests (Bond NVR 10-11) very difficult? Help!

Advice on 11 Plus NVR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Exams2018

Are stretch tests (Bond NVR 10-11) very difficult? Help!

Post by Exams2018 »

DD is doing ok with assessment tests. She is absolutely struggling with stretch tests. Are they difficult or is my DD not meant for NVR tests. She is pretty good at maths and writing. She is doing fine with VR too. NVR is where she struggles. We went through the "how to do NVR" book, we did the online videos (multiple times), she seems to understand things. BUT STILL STRUGGLES.
Westminster11

Re: Are stretch tests (Bond NVR 10-11) very difficult? Help!

Post by Westminster11 »

Sorry to hear this. I find from tutoring NVR it's very much about practice practice practice. Due to the nature of the questions involved, NVR isn't something that you can learn as a core principle IMO. The key method for guaranteeing success in NVR is through going through as many different types of NVR style questions as possible (usually based around symmetry, rotation, sequencing etc.)- over time you'll notice that their spatial reasoning and logic greatly improves and they'll be able to answer NVR questions with much more accuracy and speed.

From my experience tutoring 11+ NVR, I would usually find the pupil takes between 5-6 weeks of bi-weekly NVR questions to get up to speed with NVR. Bond and CGP NVR books are a good start but you can also find useful PDF 11+ NVR past exams online.

Chris
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now