Help needed for a NVR question!

Advice on 11 Plus NVR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

apprentice

Help needed for a NVR question!

Post by apprentice »

I saw the question below on Bexley/Bromley forum and I got stumped as well.

I thought I should post it over here to get help from the brainy mums and dads on NVR. :D

DC17C

Re: Help needed for a NVR question!

Post by DC17C »

I'll be brave and say think I would go with "E" since that is an option- is this a question from a past paper?
apprentice

Post by apprentice »

It's one of the Stage 1 Entrance Test (SET) Sample Questions published by St. Olave's, and it says the answer is C. :shock:
IronMikeTyson

Post by IronMikeTyson »

Is it c because they are 3d shapes and each one in the enclosure has 3 faces as does c ?

Tough question
"To err is human;to forgive ,divine"
frangipani

Post by frangipani »

I answered this question in the Bromley forum yesterday. I love these Q's and find them easy.
For those who don't know the answer I've copied my explanation below.
frangipani wrote:Each shape has at least one line (diagonal) stretching from one corner to another — that rules out A
Each shape has a line inside that creates a set of parallel lines — that rules out D
The other line (i.e not the one that creates parallel lines) inside each shape creates a triangle within the shape — that rules out B

This leaves C as the answer
mandymoo

Post by mandymoo »

frangipani wrote:I answered this question in the Bromley forum yesterday. I love these Q's and find them easy.
For those who don't know the answer I've copied my explanation below.
frangipani wrote:Each shape has at least one line (diagonal) stretching from one corner to another — that rules out A
Each shape has a line inside that creates a set of parallel lines — that rules out D
The other line (i.e not the one that creates parallel lines) inside each shape creates a triangle within the shape — that rules out B

This leaves C as the answer

Not quite - each shape on the left has a line that joins two vertices, and another line that travels parallel to one of the sides.

A does not have a line joining two vertices so it is ruled out
B + D one line does join two vertices, but the other does not run parallel to a side
C is the only picture that satisfies both these conditions