CEM 3D shapes

Advice on 11 Plus NVR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

readingmummy786

CEM 3D shapes

Post by readingmummy786 »

Hello everyone,

My daughter is preparing for the CEM exam in September. I've been going over some 3D Shapes and spatial reasoning practice questions to see how she can tackle them but she's been struggling. We have been using the CGP 3D and Spatial Reasoning 10 minute test book and have encountered some questions we had never seen before in any of the other books we have used for this topic. If anyone could shed some light on how key they actually are for her preparation for non-verbal reasoning? And if anyone has any any tips or practice q's on tackling these type of questions it would really be appreciated.
PoppyPup

Re: CEM 3D shapes

Post by PoppyPup »

Hi readingmummy786,

I’m not usually able to help as this our first time round but we had to spend some time on these as we hadn’t encountered them before.

What helped with my DD was being able to actually see the 3D cubes in actual 3D. We used blocks that I had from when my kids were younger, we used them to help them understand number bonds, multiplication and division. They are plastic cubes that you can attach together and come in different colours. If you don’t have these then you could use Lego in different colours and use blue tack for the sides that you can’t attach or actually create 3D blocks from paper or card. Then build these up to replicate the 3D cube pic and it becomes easier to solve the puzzle. Sometimes being able to visualise or see it for real can help.

Once I did this a few times for my DD it all clicked. Sometimes she still gets some wrong but mostly she understands.

I hope my post makes sense and that I’ve been able to explain clearly.

Good luck.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now