11 PLUS SCORES

Advice on 11 Plus NVR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

SARAH

11 PLUS SCORES

Post by SARAH »

hi all

can anyone clarify this, that to pass the 11 plus exams, children need to be achieving 70% in the nfer tests that are purchased from the shops or is it 86% ?

thankyou

sarah
Jed

Post by Jed »

There's no definite answer to that question. It depends on the area/the school/the pressure for places/the emphasis placed on NVR.

I suggest you post your query in the relevant area and parents there might be able to give you a better idea of what is needed for your chosen school(s).

Hope this helps.

Jed
angelz

pass mark

Post by angelz »

Hi Sarah

I have just spoken to the supplier of NFER papers in Lincolnshire. She is always in contact with local schools in the area as regards updates on the 11+ papers and she has been told, purely as a guide that VR should be above 75% and NVR should be above 45 out of 65 questions.

Of course this applies only to the schools in my area (Grantham) and is merely a guideline as passmarks cannot be determined until the actual test is taken. This is due to the way the scores are calculated (see explanation on standardised scores)

However if this is the case, then it would seem scores required in my area are considerably lower than in other areas. I would love to think this is the case but will err on the side of caution and attempt to encourage my son to practice practice practice!!!
angelz

Post by Guest »

Hi Angelz,

I think you may be right that it is easier to pass in Lincolnshire - though not necessarily easy to get a place in the Grammar school in some areas. This is because if you read the ofsted reports for some of the schools it is stated that "....School has a wider spread of ability than most Grammar schools". In some areas, in contrast, the schools are heavily oversubscribed and if they select on score rather than area then you may need a score much higher than just a pass to get in.

The scores still seem very low though. I can't work out what the basis is for the NVR score given that Lincolnshire has never done this exam before???

All the best for the next couple of weeks. My poor son has really had enough and both he and I will be glad when it is all over!

Sara
ANDREW THE POET

NON-VERBAL REASONING

Post by ANDREW THE POET »

Morning All,
I have some information from the Spalding Grammar School that there are 100 questions for the non-verbal reasoning! I will obviously try to clarify this with the school itself, but does anyone have any further info' on this. My son is due to take this on Saturday next.

Post by Guest »

I believe the girls at Spalding High sat the NVR Saturday 9.9.06 and I was told that it was the format of same many minutes for a set of questions and then onto the next. Would not swear to this but that is what I was told and there was no mention of how many questions were in NVR. When you find out please post as my son is sitting it at Spalding GS next week also.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now