Athey Pack4 NVR / Paper 2 / Isomorphic Relationships Q 10

Advice on 11 Plus NVR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Gilly

Athey Pack4 NVR / Paper 2 / Isomorphic Relationships Q 10

Post by Gilly »

This question from the Athey Educations NVR is not a 'standard' type, but would to know how they arrived at the answers.

This question has 3 shapes in the question. The task is to find two matching shapes from the 7 possible ones.

I am clueless to workout the logic with this question. Not sure if I missed an obvious trick here.

Gilly
JaysDarlin

Post by JaysDarlin »

I don't have the Athey Pack.
Gilly

Post by Gilly »

JaysDarlin,

That's not a problem. It's not one of the usual type of questions that we see in other papers but this particular one really puzzled me.

Hope your son had a good exam today.

Gilly
JaysDarlin

Post by JaysDarlin »

Hi Gilly, thanks for your well-wishing. :D

Ds said he found the verbal "easy", said he finished ten minutes early - I hope that's a good thing! However, he said NVR was really hard, and he had to guess 8 questions. I have heard the same thing from 3 other children who took the Slough Consortium test, aswell as Drastic Dad and others on this site - so I hope that it gets standardised enough for us to get in!

I have ordered the Athey papers - I need more NVR juice for the next month!!! :lol:
Gilly

Post by Gilly »

Hi JaysDarlin,

Glad to know the tests went well today :), especially after your panicking earlier this week.

I guess the Athey papers are not very popular but there are few odd types that would certainly add variety to the preparation.

Gilly
JaysDarlin

Post by JaysDarlin »

Hi Gilly - got them! A bit bewildered regarding the question types though!

The only one I can see fitting into the group is D, as it has a line going from one side of the shape to the other, and has a line which sticks out of the shape - why is the other answer A?

It only has one line sticking out.

Maybe the only thing that all the shapes have got in common is the fact that they all have one line sticking out of the shape?
fm

Post by fm »

The trick with the Athey Isomorphic ones is to literally ignore everything but the single thing they have in common which is, as you say, a line going from inside the shape to outside. I assume G doesn't qualify because the outside shape has curved sides.

Any practice is good practice just so long as you don't stress if scores aren't high. My memory from using these papers was that scores tended to be low and children (and adults) became demoralized.
Gilly

Post by Gilly »

Hi JaysDarlin,

Thanks for looking into this question.

fm - yes, I can see why the correct answers are A and D from your logic. Thank you.

The thing that got DS confused was that there is also at least one straight line inside each shape touching two sides. With that logic he got one answer as D and then struggled to find another. At that point he should have switched over to finding a different logic.

Gilly
JaysDarlin

Post by JaysDarlin »

Gilly wrote:At that point he should have switched over to finding a different logic.
Thanks for this gem.
JaysDarlin

Post by JaysDarlin »

fm wrote:The trick with the Athey Isomorphic ones is to literally ignore everything but the single thing they have in common
That surely isnt a good thing, is it? I mean, the real NFER can have about 5 things, or "layers" that they can have in common!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now