Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
JaysDarlin

AE Tuition Book 2, help

Post by JaysDarlin »

Hello NVR Squad!

Please can you help with Chapter 13 Revision Section 6, Question 9:
(Matrix)

I can understand everything except why the grey square has a black square in it. (d)

Why cant the white square have a black square in it?, ie why cant the answer be b?

Thanks!
Gilly

Post by Gilly »

Hi JaysDarlin,

Here is my take on this.

Each shape has two parts.
Top part has a white small square and bottom part has a dark square.
In each row, the shapes move one column forward.
When a shape drops off at the end, it re-emerges in the first column next row with its dark fill moved to the other half.

So, in the third row, as the shape with the grey top drops off from the second row and re-emerges in the first column of the third row, the bottom dark fill moves up and that exposes its dark small square.

Hope this helps.

Gilly
JaysDarlin

Post by JaysDarlin »

Gilly, Im totally lost. :lol:
Gilly

Post by Gilly »

Ok, take 2...
I can understand everything except why the grey square has a black square in it.
Because each shape has a white small square at the top half and a black small square at the bottom half.
Why cant the white square have a black square in it?, ie why cant the answer be b?
Because it has to be a shape with the grey fill inside.

If you look at the last item in the second row, it is a shape with the grey fill inside the top half. As the shapes move right by one column, this grey shape drops off from the second row. It then starts at the first column of the third row with a 'transformation'. This transformation is - black fill moves to the top half and the grey fill moves to the bottom half. (This 'transformation' logic can be verified with the behaviour of the shape in the last column of the first row as well).

Also note that the black fill overlaps the entire half where as the white and grey fills expose the inner small square in their halves.

I am sorry if I made it too complicated :( .

Hoping that we can hear simpler logic to solve this from others in this forum.

Gilly