Help! panicking son!!!

Advice on 11 Plus NVR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
traceywhyte17

Help! panicking son!!!

Post by traceywhyte17 »

We have been practising NVR questions for a few weeks now but my son wanted to do the pull out test in the book tonight so I timed him as he did it. However it was a total disaster because he got stuck and then started getting in a right flap. When I marked it he had got most wrong from after he started panicking. Now he is feeling very disheartened and I am panicking as exam is in 2 weeks. Any suggestions to get him back on track?
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Tell him to take it as a lesson in what NOT to do during the exam!!

For instance, when he comes to a question he cannot do, or is taking too long over, he should circle the question number (to be able to find it more easily later) move on and only come back to it at the end - if he has time.

It's a great lesson to learn now for the real exams and one he should put to good use.

It's very important he learns to do this as time is of the essence with NVR especially.
dadofkent

Re: Help! panicking son!!!

Post by dadofkent »

traceywhyte17 wrote:We have been practising NVR questions for a few weeks now but my son wanted to do the pull out test in the book tonight so I timed him as he did it. However it was a total disaster because he got stuck and then started getting in a right flap. When I marked it he had got most wrong from after he started panicking. Now he is feeling very disheartened and I am panicking as exam is in 2 weeks. Any suggestions to get him back on track?
Assume you mean pullout in one the Bond Books. If I recall this is a paper that needs to be done from start to finish in a set time. However, as far as I am aware, most 11+ NVR exams are done in sections, about 12/18 questions at a time. So if DC gets in a mess in one section, there is opportunity to "regroup" and start afresh for the next section.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now