Advice on Special Needs and the 11 Plus Exams

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
exam2019

Re: Dyslexia and 11+ advice wanted

Post by exam2019 »

These links might be useful:

For private assessment and tutoring in the NE London area:
http://thesheilaferraridyslexiacentre.org.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You can also look for help through the PATOSS website assessor seach tool, but IME they direct enquiries to the Avon House centre linked to above.

For online screening test:
http://www.dyslexiacentre.co.uk/take-the-quiz/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

No dyslexia experience here but we have other SEN experiences and the only reason we got action was when we produced a private third party report. We were fobbed off for years - as you don't have time to wait I'd suggest you need to make your own arrangements.

Access Arrangements for the 11+ are supposed to be based on the daily accomodations which are in place for the child daily in class. IME it is incredibly difficult to get accomodations reliably in place day to day. We've been waiting for 2 years to get touch typing and keyboard in place since it was first mentioned as a possibility by the school. The school has put very little in place to be honest and I don't think that is unusual for "Specific Learning Difficulty with Written Expression" or "Dysgraphia" which affects written work, which sometimes overlaps with dyslexia.

We've taken things into our own hands. We have been using Nessy Fingers online at home. Have done a Magic Link handwriting course (online, DVD or in person in North London). OT has said we should have an AlphaSmart keyboard and we have had a trial in class (the NHS OT referral alone has taken 16 months from referral to issue of report) but school are resisting even though dedicated funding is available. I'm aiming to get this in place by the end of Y4..... wish me luck! :roll:

Even if you get the school to put support in place, my discussions with our local grammars have been interesting. They want to offer extra time instead of a keyboard - often because they can't offer keyboards to all the people who would need them. It is illegal for them to do this, but of course it is very difficult to fight that particular corner.... sigh. It's bliddy exhausting this SEN lark
whenwillitbeover

Post by whenwillitbeover »

Hi tahm563,

i can't speak about day-to-day provisions but for 11+ exams your DD can be offered any provisions that an Ed. Psych might state in their report - e.g. extra time, use of filters (incase of eye issues) etc.

I'd suggest you do your tests fairly quickly, request school to give you the exam provisions needed, and work towards providing these evidences by the deadline date for registration to schools (if selective) in summer.

My DD was diagnosed with a physical condition that slowed her down around the same time last year and we got our evidenced in place only by May. All the state and independent schools have agreed to the provisions requested for the exam based on these reports.

I hope this helps.
Optymum

Post by Optymum »

Our DD was diagnosed with dyslexia in the November of year 5. We had suspected for some time, mainly due to her very poor spelling, which was markedly lower than all other areas. In year 4 she had some interventions put in place by her teacher ( who although a previous SEnco at another school, was not the Senco at our school). These were recommended to continue into year 5, but did not. Hence we got a private Ed Psych report to get to the bottom of things, and to try to give us a reason for interventions still being needed.
Whilst still not getting extra support in year 5 (although we did eventually pay ourselves for Touch typing), the report did allow us to apply for extra time for the 11+, which was granted. Now, thankfully in year 6, DD is getting to do Lexia, as an intervention.
We are Kent, so I am not sure how your area compares, but my advice is to concentrate hard on the Comprehension. Our DD has excellent comprehension, but has to read the text carefully, hence the benefit of extra time. She has coloured glasses for Visual stress, which she will not read without. Ironically, I think her dyslexia has helped her comprehension, as she has learned to read by really thinking about and understanding the text, to fill in words she cannot 'read' although verbally may well know. In Kent the 11+ has a 'spot the spelling mistake' section, which for her was always going to be tricky (impossible), so we concentrated hard on making sure her comprehension was tight, as to pass she had to make very few errors in other areas.
Certainly look at the Senco provision in the schools you are considering. For our DD, we felt grammar would be good, as it has been a real push to get support at primary, as except spelling, she copes extremely well. Our first choice grammar had a very impressive Senco, and the school has lots of clubs/ support in place, so we are hoping for that on March 1st!
annaMc

Post by annaMc »

Our DD was diagnosed in Spring time of y5 by a private dyslexia assessor. She was exceeding expectations in most subjects at primary school, but her spelling was poor and it became apparent to us when we began 11 plus prep that most of her incorrect answers were due to mistakes made copying digits incorrectly from her calculation into he answer box or from the question into her calculation. The assessment put her on the 99.4th percentile for underlying ability but only on the 13th centile for reading speed and also identified problems with working memory and accuracy. The assessor recommended 25% extra time in exams to compensate for her reading speed, and she was given this in the Surrey grammar exams. The primary school supported this with a letter saying that they were also implementing th recommendations of the report. The extra time compensated for her speed issues and she managed to finish the English and almost finish the maths paper. It didn’t really compensate at all for her accuracy problems, which are her major problem, or her spelling. However, she did well enough to gain a (lowish) pass and secure a place at one of our preferred grammars.
Aethel

Post by Aethel »

Congratulations to your DD Anna. Hope she does well at the GS.

Anyone else thinking of putting their dyslexic child in... it can be done, but only if your child can cope with the speed needed to get a decent score (bearing in mind they will already be at a disadvantage through losing points with spelling/accuracy).

So be prepared that your child’s score will not reflect their underlying ability, and yes, this may be to the extent that it costs them a passing score. My DD has very very high NVR skills and an excellent memory but her processing speed and poor spelling meant that although she knew the subject matter, her score even with extra time was not quite enough. It’s important to realise that some dyslexic children will thrive at a grammar and don’t be put off from entering them if you think they would like to be in that environment.
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

Hi you mentioned difficulty with handwriting...also consider dyspraxia..developmental coordination disorder and hypermobility disorders as there is a lot of overlap in these areas.
It’s probably too far to travel but the staff at the Dyscovery Centre are very helpful and give very comprehensive reports.
http://dyscovery.southwales.ac.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mumtries

Post by mumtries »

have you considered having an Educational psychologist assess her?
Lat

Post by Lat »

Hi,
My son is mild dixlexic his processing speed is quite slow so it takes him sometime to complete task. will he be given an extra time durring his 11+ exams in September and how do I go about this please? Your experience and advice is much appreciated.
mad?

Post by mad? »

It does seem to depend which are you are in, more information might be helpful :)
mad?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now