Neurodivergence

Advice on Special Needs and the 11 Plus Exams

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
2Socks

Re: Neurodivergence

Post by 2Socks »

Hi all, just a quick update...DS behaviour at school has improved, but it is now manifesting in anxiety unfortunately. The school don't seem all that concerned about it. Essentially we think he's trying so hard to be 'normal' that it's resulting in stress. The Dr's want something from the school SEN, but school SEN won't get involved unless the Dr gives an indication of possible diagnosis, so we're feeling a bit between pillar and post. We have a potential strategy to break the deadlock of the services route, but don't want to post it here, sorry! Private is really looking like the way forward.
All in all, we really appreciate your advice and we're not giving up (just haven't been on the forum recently.)
2Socks

Re: Neurodivergence

Post by 2Socks »

ok, so after me saying that no-one wanted to start the process, it turns out that the school had referred him to the counsellor and just not informed us. She caught me this morning and has given me a load of questionnaires to complete looking at high-functioning autism, depression and anxiety. We've just quickly been through the HFA questionnaire, and it's looking rather likely that he should get a referral based upon that. The school are going to have a meeting to discuss his case next week (don't think we're invited, but they've asked us to include any comments in with the questionnaires). All in all, things are moving forward and I'm not feeling like I'm worrying about nothing, so that in itself is a bonus!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now