kkkuikk

SEN in Newstead, Weald of Kent, Tonbridge, Townley

Post by kkkuikk »

Does anyone have experience with SEN in the below schools:
1) Newstead Wood
2) Weald of Kent
3) Tonbridge Grammar
4) Townley

We are hopeful that our daughter will pass and make it to at least one of the above school but very worried about the possible pressure of a grammar school as she's autistic. Anyone has any idea how other children on the spectrum cope in these schools?
PettswoodFiona

Re: SEN in Newstead, Weald of Kent, Tonbridge, Townley

Post by PettswoodFiona »

DD has a few friends who get SEN support at Newstead. One is for Dyslexia and the other for a physical impairment. They both get extra time in exams and are supported by the school. I don't know the details except DD says her friends feel supported. Neurodiversity is a topic they cover is PSHE I seem to remember and something that is celebrated rather than hidden.

The school has lots of unique girls, all with very different attributes, there is no one 'type' so being on the spectrum wouldn't be unusual or make them stand out. The school is flexible in the curriculum, those struggling ("struggling" is a different concept at a grammar like Newstead) are allowed to drop subjects early or not take so many GCSEs then those who find it a breeze have the option of taking more but are actually discouraged from taking on too much so as to preserve their mental health. The teachers are approachable and responsive if you have any issues or questions.
kkkuikk

Re: SEN in Newstead, Weald of Kent, Tonbridge, Townley

Post by kkkuikk »

PettswoodFiona - many thanks for your response. Glad to know that there is support in Newstead and also quite some neurodiversity in the school.

We just got the results and she's passed highly enough to secure a place I believe so we really hope to hear more from other parents with any knowledge or experience.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now