Diagnosis and Y5 preparation for 11+

Advice on Special Needs and the 11 Plus Exams

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Rolanda

Diagnosis and Y5 preparation for 11+

Post by Rolanda »

Hi, my son is in Y4 and has been preparing for the 11+ exams since last October. He's been doing alright, even though from time to time, he really struggles to focus and still makes quite some careless mistakes on a daily basis (not sure if it's normal at his age).

I have been suspecting he has ADHD (inattentive and impulsive) for quite some time. But it's really a hard decision to make if to pursue a diagnosis which would inevitably result in himself coming to realisation of this neurological condition. I don't know if how he would take it and if the diagnosis itself could make him feel crippled and self-conscious.

I personally got diagnosed in 2017 (late 30s) and I know for sure my mum and my brother both have this condition. So my son is very likely to have it with the symptoms shown. But he's probably on the borderline and not disruptive to others enough to have the support from school for a diagnosis. Just his mind is often all over the places and extremely fidgety.

Anyway, I was intending to wait till he's in Y6 and finishes the exams before pursuing a diagnosis, so it could minimise any psychological shock to him, (as well as the process of trial and error with medications if any) compounding with the huge pressure for exam preparation. But I gradually became not sure if it's the right thing.

As said earlier, he's doing alright and stood roughly at the top 10%-15% of his tutoring class (about 100 kids). Apart difficulty in concentration and frequent careless mistake, he does easily panick under time pressure - which I could associate with my past experience like complete brain blackout. But then I'm not sure if it's to do with the heightened emotions linked with ADHD.

Can someone with similar experience advise if it's the wise thing to wait or get help now? Much grateful!
Tinkers

Re: Diagnosis and Y5 preparation for 11+

Post by Tinkers »

My DD was diagnosed in her first year at Uni. She has just finished her second year, which has gone so much better.

It’s obvious now she’s struggled with it for years but ‘coped enough’ for it not to be seen as a problem.

We’ve had long discussions about it since and we (us parents and her) wish we’d picked up on it and got her assessed much earlier. It would have saved her a lot of anxiety. She could never study/revise for the same hours her peers did for instance nd never u dear stand how they managed it.

Obviously you need to do what’s right for you. Even if medication was suggested, you don’t have to go that route or you could delay until summer after year 6. DD made her own decision about meds and they help her a lot, but they don’t help everyone.

Having the official diagnosis may also help with 11+ as he might get extra time, extended or extra breaks and/or a separate room to reduce distractions.
Rolanda

Post by Rolanda »

Tinkers wrote:It’s obvious now she’s struggled with it for years but ‘coped enough’ for it not to be seen as a problem.

We’ve had long discussions about it since and we (us parents and her) wish we’d picked up on it and got her assessed much earlier. It would have saved her a lot of anxiety. She could never study/revise for the same hours her peers did for instance nd never u dear stand how they managed it.
Thank you, Tinkers. What you said is pretty much what's changing my mind about the timing. He has lots of ups and downs. But I fear with the pressure of exam preparation, he wold be more miserable than necessary...

Glad your daughter took it well and has worked out the way to live with the condition. I've been holding back diagnosis partially because I'm so frightened that there's no going-back once he's seen. Don't know how he would take it and if it would knock him down instead of making him better...

But, I think if his dad agrees, I probably would give it a try in the next couple of months.

Thank you!
Choppy

Post by Choppy »

Was in same boat as you a couple of years ago. My advice: get help now. Don't delay. Nothing to lose, so much to gain. Good luck! x
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now