Special consideration for Dyspraxia, Asperger's

Advice on Special Needs and the 11 Plus Exams

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
kjpt99

Special consideration for Dyspraxia, Asperger's

Post by kjpt99 »

Hello,
Has anyone had any success with getting special consideration and access for candidates with Dyspraxia and social difficulties such as Asperger's when taking the 11+?

We're in Wiltshire - Maths, VR and English multiple choice and a written exam for borderline cases.

The proposed school says just write in with your requests and they'll consider it.

My son has Dyspraxia and has difficulty organising himself including his thoughts and putting things down on paper (which is why he tries to do all his calculations in his head).
He has social difficulties and is about to have a test for Asperger's the result of which should be out before the special access forms should be sent in.

Anyone know what I should expect?

I've written to his physio to see if she can help me present a case so waiting for a reply to that.
His SENCO is not very helpful at his school - which is why he's just left and about to go to another school for year 6 - I've never even spoken to her about my son, just his class teachers.

I thought that enlarged papers (because his writing is so big), sitting on his wedged chair, using a sloping board, squared paper for his workings out as he is bad at writing down things in an orderly way, extra time and a chaperone (me) in the vicinity as he's likely to get very upset if he can't do any questions might be the things I'd ask for. But, actually I'm not sure about the extra time as I'm guessing he'd have to sit the exam in a room of his own as the timings will be different to the other boys and I can see him looking out of the window most of the time whereas if he was in a room full of boys with their heads down beavering away he'd probably follow suit. And, as they do all the exams in one session which lasts between 8.30am and 1pm then having extra time just makes it even longer.

Any other suggestions as to what I might request?

Thanks
mitasol

Re: Special consideration for Dyspraxia, Asperger's

Post by mitasol »

Rash posted this last year, which may help. The link no longer works but I'm fairly certain the information detailed is a quotation.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 40&t=12932

It looks like the information regarding any allowances should come from an appropriate professional source, so you may have to pin down the SENCO.

I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will arrive to assist.
Good Luck :D
Fluffy66

Post by Fluffy66 »

An Occupational Therapist report got us extra time in Sept 09 (Kent) because my son struggles with hand writing, but this was only in the English essay writing. She also suggested a reader and writer for him but he doesn't have either in school and we didn't think this would help, more hinder.

Other things on offer for AS were a separate room and breaks but we weren't offered that by Kent when i contacted them - this formed part of our appeal at a later stage.

There is a cut off date for organising extras, again in Kent last year, it was the Thursday in the first week of the holidays.

I think that offereing extra time throughout the exams is a gentle juggle between giving extras under the DDA and giving an advantage. With AS they still need to be able to keep up at a GS and personally my thoughts from things that have been discussed during our appeal process i think it would have gone against us actually having that extra time in the appeal procedure.

One area that i felt my son was disadvantaged in was the actual starting off, that first exam on the first day- VR. When i looked at his paper for the VR he had stop/started, rubbed out a couple of times and then didn't finish. This behaviour was also described several times by an EP - that would be another route to go for ideas as to what would most suit your son - but its not cheap.

Good night Fluffy
Morning Glory

Post by Morning Glory »

My DS has Apergers and we applied for adjustments - an enlarged answer sheet, a break and extra time. We are in Bucks and they aren't generous with their extra time. We were granted an enlarged answer sheet, a break and because of the break he had to be tested seperately (with another boy who also had a break). The extra time was refused even though we had an EP assessment stating For public examinations extra time should be given.

We also applied for adjustments for his Year 6 SATs (different panel) and was granted extra time, a scribe and a separate room. If you are considering using a scribe he will have to have been using one in the classroom before they will grant this.

Not sure if they would allow a family member in the room while he is being tested. I know their are quite strict rules about who can be a scribe. For example although my sister in law works at my DS's school and would have made him feel very secure, she would not have been allowed to be his scribe or to invigilate his exam.

I hope that helps.

MG
workhard

Post by workhard »

kjpt99

I have just seen your post. Please post here again if you are still looking into this for your son. I work in special needs in a secondary school and my partner's organisation works on inclusion and access matters, including the legal aspects.

workhard
kjpt99

Post by kjpt99 »

Thanks you Workhard for getting in touch. Yes we are still looking into this and would like any help that can be offered or suggestions as to what's best in these situations.

Regards

kjpt99
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now