Help with extra time submission

Advice on Special Needs and the 11 Plus Exams

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
swimmingmum

Help with extra time submission

Post by swimmingmum »

Can anyone give me help with an extra time submission in Kent- dyslexic and has attention deficit disorder.
SSM

Re: Help with extra time submission

Post by SSM »

If there is a SENCo at your school you should speak to them or otherwise contact KCC.

I don't know if things have changed in the last couple of years but, unfortunately, Kent only used to allow extra time for the English paper, which is not marked but only looked at at a Headmasters appeal.
swimmingmum

Post by swimmingmum »

The SENCO is going to try but it seems unlikely as you say often only english .
I just don't understand how they can justify it - has anyone ever tried to challenge thier decision. It seems to be against the disability discrimination act.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Try contacting the British Dyslexia Association ------ I have an idea, but it might be wrong, that you can only get extra time in public exams if you have a statement of special educational needs.

When will your child sit the exam?

If it were me, and a statement were needed, but there was not time to get one, I would get a well valued dyslexia assessment. At least then you will have something powerful to use at appeal. I would also view all your DC's completed papers at Maidstone and see if you can see some obvious reasons why his dyslexia has affected his responses, and that more time would have helped.

Don't just go on SENCOs advice and help - it's not always great, not always correct. You could also try contacting AEN / SEN direct at Kent LEA and the Kent parent partnership. They might be able to put you in touch with other Kent parents who have battled through to grammar school and you can find out how they did it, they should also help you communicate well with SENCo, school and LEA if necessary.

Good luck.
Morning Glory

Post by Morning Glory »

Just to say that you do not need to have a statement to get extra time in public exams.

For 11+ (Bucks) we had to put in a submission with evidence, which was an EP assessment which stated DS ' a lease should be given extra time, at best should be given a verbal examination'. Extra time was refused.

For Year 6 SATs - again we had to put in a submission which was the EP assessment and OT assessment (not available at time of 11+) and he was granted extra time and a scribe.

For the SATs if you had a statement extra time would automatically have been granted.

Hope this helps.

MG
Fluffy66

Post by Fluffy66 »

My DS got extra time for the writing part, in Kent, last year. This was off the back of an OT report who recommended a scribe and extra time due to hand writing difficulties. I had to push for it through the school and via KCC. There is a deadline for schools to apply which last year was 23 or 24 July 2009. I recently emailed KCC to ask the question again and was told for Aspergers the usual is "a separate room with a break allowed". The lady i dealt with last year was West Kent AEN. In the Admissions booklet it says to contact "your SEN locality Officer through your local AEN and resources office". There are numbers for West, Mid and East. Let me know if you would like one

In my experience the school was much more proactive in applying for extra time for SATs. In fact i didn't know my DS was getting extra time until 2 days before :?
Morning Glory

Post by Morning Glory »

Fluffy66

That's funny I didn't know DS's extra time for SATs had been approved until the day before either. Yes I also forget if you are given extra time or a scribe you automatically get a seperate room. DS did get an enlarged answer sheet in 11+ and a break and was tested with one other boy who also had the same adjustments.
mystery

Post by mystery »

I know a boy with dyslexia in a Kent primary, sat 11+ last September, did not get any adjustments, but did get extra time in some of the SATS. So I think some schools are less helpful than others in pushing for adjustments. You may have to attack this one from all angles - clearly most Kent primaries will care more about their SATS results than their 11+ results.

Also, if you look on the NFER website (highly relevant as the Kent test is set by NFER) at the bit relating to the 11+ you will see statements mentioned in the bit regarding adjustments for dyslexia. This might stop some schools trying to get an adjustment where a child has dyslexia but no statement ...... the notion of having to have a statement does seem bizarre - probably a hangover from the past where nearly everything that moved got a statement in some schools, but now there is more school based support there is not a need for the same high percentage of statemented children.

Do you think extra time will help your DC? If it doesn't, it's demoralising to have it and may not improve his score. In this case it would be better to have a half-hearted attempt at getting a time adjustment, and a very thorough preparation for an appeal if he does not make the pass mark and you consider this is due to the dyslexia / ADHD.
SSM

Post by SSM »

I tried to get extra time for my dyslexic son when he sat the kent 11+ four years ago and was told that he would only get the extra time for English, so we didn't bother.

Luckily my son passed with top Marks for Maths and NVR and 128 for Verbal. He's just sitting internal exams and 1 GCSE at his GS and gets given extra time without an EDPsych report or being Statemented. The SenCo at school organises it all.

Quite interestingly when I was talking to him the other night we got onto the subject of the 11+ and he was schocked that he didn't get any allowances for the 11+. Up until I put him straight the other night, he was under the impression that he was given extra points because he was dyslexic.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now