ed psyc report and 11 plus

Advice on Special Needs and the 11 Plus Exams

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
yoyo123

Re: ed psyc report and 11 plus

Post by yoyo123 »

shall we say they are "variable" ?

however we had one really good EP in our cluster, she worked as a part of a team rather than swanning in , leaving a report and disappearing
smartie

Post by smartie »

Had a bit of a result today,finally!! New Ed Pysc seems to think it could be Auditory Processing Disorder, but I won't be having an actual meeting with her for another 2 months!! Why do things have to take so long? :evil:
Morning Glory

Post by Morning Glory »

That's quick in my book. I have a meeting with LA EP on Monday to discuss my DS - only taken 4 years - :lol: If I didn't laugh I'd cry!!! The Occupational Therapy assessment took nearly 3 years to come through. :D However Speech & Language only took 9 months.

Good luck, I hope the assessment goes well.
Morning Glory

Post by Morning Glory »

Just to update everyone - arrived for EP meeting this morning (4 year wait remember) and he didn't turn up!!!! Forgot to put the meeting he'd arranged in his diary :evil: I had to go to work so had to leave. He did arrive an hour or so later and did see DS :D . When I got home this afternoon he rang and was very apologetic, he is now coming to the house to have the meeting. Let's just hope he can find the house!!!
Greta2

Post by Greta2 »

MG - I can't quite believe that after all that wait, he then forgot! :? I am glad that he at least got to see your DS. Hopefully that went well.

You never know, it may turn out to be for the best. Sometimes I think it is better if these things are done over several separate sessions rather than all at once in a short time. OK, just trying to be positive!
smartie

Post by smartie »

Had meeting with the EP, teacher and SENCO. Teacher said she is distracted by the slightest thing, sometimes expects her to understand what she is talking about although could be in the middle of a sentance. Also she finds following instructions difficult and is quite giggly. She's doing OK with her work. After speaking at length she said she has low level communication issues.I explained that she only really sees things in black and white, can take things literally. She was an extremely content baby until about 18mths old and then cried for lengthly periods for no apparent reason. EP asked if she was affected by loud noises, answer being yes. Long meeting, said she would need a mentor when she goes to secondary school. Are my thoughts of her being autistic now seeming more likely. I wonder what anyone else thinks as I really need to know how best to deal with her. I don't think the report will confirm it as I think more tests are needed, but does anyone else with similar experiences have any thoughts.
smartie

Post by smartie »

Sorry forgot. EP also said that she has taught herself coping strategies at school and has not appeared to have been having any problems. She is also only picking up some of the things that the teacher is teaching the class, although is not doing too badly with her work.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

a lot of those things you have mentioned are also common among children on the autistic spectrum smartie.

ASD is a developmental disorder and can only really be diagnosed by a doctor. If you are still worried it would be worth speaking to your GP and asking if they could refer you to a paediatrician. It is much quicker to go through GP than via a school referral
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

Hi smartie,

We had similar problems with DS2 at age six months, sensory overload, and at three years language problems. I went on a couple of courses HANEN? program for SLT and Earlybirds for ASD, both courses mentioned girls slipping through the net. We did get a late'ish diagnosis of ASD, it was late as part of the process involved both parents being ready to accept the diagnosis.

This won't make me popular with LEAs but we found the only way to get action was to ask for a statement of educational needs, we didn't get one, but the LEA did have to go through a process of assessing and rejecting our request. So we got a much clearer idea of what was going on and probably/possibly more help than if we didn't ask.

You are on the right track and asking the right questions, keep going, best wishes.
Fluffy66

Post by Fluffy66 »

As yoyo says its really best, if your at all worried, to get refered via your doctor. Make notes in the 2/3 prior of any behaviour that you think is odd or different or extreme. As steve says girls do tend to present differently and later. We have a girl in upper ks2 i my school who is just begining to show her true colours now. Unfortunately secondary school is within sight and the system is slow, i really feel for her.

To give you a flavour we have just had our yonger son diagnosed with Aspergers today (his older brother already is and there really wasn't much doubt). We have not had a professional experience this time around but did finally see a fantastic paediatrician today. So because of this experience last night we had to write another basic list of our concerns which included:

things having to be just so
constantly want to be correct
very small social circle with other similarily odd children
prefers to play with a particular style of toys - no linning up or obsessional play though
very easily upset - tearful/emotional
resistant to changes - in day-to-day or planned events
hysterical/unrealistic/emotional reactions to very minor cuts/abrasions
fussy with food
interupting others conversation/ no pleasantries - hello/thank you
starting to speak mid sentence expecting us to know what hes talking about - theory of mind
constant questioning regarding factual things
disorganised and easily distractable
forgetful with instructions.

As many people will say all children display these behaviours at some point.

Both my DS cope very well at school and my older son has taken to all the changes at secondary extremley well but there are very set routines at school. Sometimes its interesting to look at how your child is when finishing school as often children hold it together all day and then come out at 3pm ish and have a bit of a meltdown.

Fluffy