What is the best school for a child with mild ADHD?

Advice on Special Needs and the 11 Plus Exams

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
marigold

Re: What is the best school for a child with mild ADHD?

Post by marigold »

If you are serious about the air cadets, what about Pangbourne School?

It is more naval, but they spend a good amount of time marching and parading and lots of music of the fife and drum type involved. You do have to buy two uniforms though, one for every day and one for the military side of things, the price of which can be quite eyewatering I believe.

Not sure about the academic side but it might be worth investigating.
mystery

Post by mystery »

:lol:
Just another thought - siblings. One of my children is hideous quite frequently to younger sibling - both verbally and physically at times, planned and unplanned, hot-blooded and cold-blooded. Younger sibling is in reality their bestest ever friend, and is apparently much better endowed with the friendship making skills outside the home than the older one. Older child tends now to confine their most anti-social behaviour to the sibling relationship. But time together improves it. When they are together week after week during the school holiday, things only get better. And I like to think that the sibling relationship provides a safety outlet for behaviour that now can't be practised on anyone else as other children are old enough to make a judgement and avoid it. I think it also provides a learning ground for social relationships. The child with a sibling is never truly friendless.

But there are some disaster scenarios - to invite a friend for the younger child and older child not to have one here can lead to some extremely volatile situations. And this is a child who at school would never say boo to a goose, and whose absence or presence in a classroom would probably never be noticed either way.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Marigold, sorry my lol was for the previous post not yours.
Waiting_For_Godot

Post by Waiting_For_Godot »

Hadn't thought of Pangbourne although DS is DESPERATE to go to Gordonstoun because the students run four emergency services. It's very poor academically with some students getting U's! :shock:
mystery

Post by mystery »

Yes but the ones getting Us are extremely well-connected aren't they?

I think my daughter would be attracted to the school for the same reasons. Maybe we have a match. She equally varies from mouse in the corner to outrageously funny and extrovert behaviour in situations in which she is comfortable.

Also, she varies her school performance according to whom she wants to sit with. A rapid decline in academic performance has recently been rewarded by sitting with a child she has wanted to be friends with for quite some time. She can keep up the act at home took pretending not to understand maths that she could do easily at least a year ago.