11+ extra time

Advice on Special Needs and the 11 Plus Exams

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

sarahh

11+ extra time

Post by sarahh »

Hi
Wondering if anyone has advice re using extra time / break . We have applied for extra time / break for my DS because he has problems with visual tracking (eye stamina) and has Asperger's. I think he will be awarded a 10 min break 1/2 way through test which is 50 mins VR paper, he has been practicing with no break and seems to be doing ok on most papers. His tutor and school are saying they think he will be fine without using this break and he doesn't really want to as it will single him out as he will have to be tested separately.
I am not sure of the implications of not using anything awarded especially if we have to go to an appeal!

Any thoughts or experiences would be great.

Thanks
Etienne

Re: 11+ extra time

Post by Etienne »

From the appeal point of view, I wouldn't worry.

The admission authority would, of course, want to point out in the appeal paperwork that the offer of adjustments was made.

I don't think an appeal panel would mind your not taking up the offer, provided you explained to them what a difficult decision it was for you, balancing your son's needs. You would need to point out that any change in routine can be problematic for children with AS, and that having to take the 11+ is upsetting enough, without being 'singled out'.

If I were you, I would base your decision entirely on what you think would best suit your son in the actual test. You have been very wise to keep your options open for as long as possible, but if after careful consideration you think the downside of separate testing would outweigh any possible benefit, and if this is also the school's opinion, then you would have a sound argument at any appeal.
Etienne
mum23*

Re: 11+ extra time

Post by mum23* »

DD2 was given extra time for dyslexia and sat 11+ separately (in the cooking room which she said smelled nice like cakes!) Although she had been finishing practice tests within the time and did so on the day she was able to use the extra time to check over the paper and obviously there were no distractions. If your DS has only been granted a break but no actual extra test time and you both feel a break isn't necessary then I would just get it over with. If he has been given extra time then use it, it might be the "cushion" that gives your DS confidence. Only you will know if doing the test alone is a good or bad idea but DD1 did say that when she did it a girl burst into tears and ran out the room so if your DS doesn't cope well with distractions then take them up on the offer. Best of luck. If your DS does pass make sure the new school is aware of any SEN issues before he joins or asap after starting.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now