Year 5 time off school for BSED

Advice on Special Needs and the 11 Plus Exams

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
devonmum

Year 5 time off school for BSED

Post by devonmum »

Hi - my son in about to go into his last term of year 5 and will be sitting 11 plus exam this September :shock: . He has had continual behavioural difficulties throughout school, though always been one of the top pupils academically. Difficulties got so bad that we have moved his school twice to try and address things... but it is the same old in each school so is him and not the school!

Whilst I don't particularly want to discuss his difficulties on here, he has now been referred to another outside organisation for help - however this will mean 1 day per week out of school for the whole of last term of year 5. Surely missing this much academic work before 11plus exam is going to put him at a disadvantage? I want him to go to this outside organisation for help, as it needs sorting. However, I am very concerned that this could have detrimental effect on his studies.

So, should I write to the grammar school for extenuating circumstances or something before the exam? He has not been diagnosed with SEN.

:?
Amber

Re: Year 5 time off school for BSED

Post by Amber »

If this were me, I would want to access the help available now, regardless of other considerations. I certainly don't think there are any worries about missing 'academic work' in Year 5. I assume the school is happy for you to take him to this other organisation? I doubt a day a week would affect anything like SATs results, especially if the purpose of the day is to address issues which might ultimately be acting as barriers to your son's learning.

Regarding the 11+, if the exam is based on school subjects then perhaps it is worth asking the LA about it, but if it is VR/NVR presumably the time out of school will not make any difference to his chances in the exam. I am not sure of the procedure for trying to get allowances made but I think it might be that unless your son needs extra time or other practical adjustments on the day, your best bet is collating evidence for an appeal, if needed. I am sure someone else will be along soon to advise on that.

Good luck, hope your son gets the help he needs. :)
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now