Dyspraxia & grammar school

Advice on Special Needs and the 11 Plus Exams

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

ginx

Re: Dyspraxia & grammar school

Post by ginx »

DC17C

I invigilate at a school, some dc have scribes, some use laptops. Because this is a large comp., there are quite a few children using laptops, so nobody thinks it unusual.

I haven't (yet) experienced a GS, but it sounds as if you and DS preferred the indie. Its small class sizes sound good, I think if it was me I would investigate that more closely. Otherwise do you have to appeal to get a place at a gs?

Good luck.
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

Thanks for the replies - it is a bit of a tricky situation as DS's best friend will probably get a GS place offered but is a bit upset at going on his own - would be happier with DS going too. I could appeal for DS and think I have good evidence and support from school etc- but you never know. Indie would suit in lots of ways and I would really like to get things settled for DS rather than having it all up in the air until May/ June time. Other things seem to be falling into place to make indie affordable.
pixiequeen

Post by pixiequeen »

Hello DC 17C,

I just wanted to offer my experience - our DD1 is dyspraxic - diagnosed at 5 and offered a years occupational therapy. She never had a statement at school because she managed fine academically. School just thought she was disorganised, clumsy and a slow worker. Although the reception teacher had been aware of her dyspraxia the message did not get relayed from teacher to teacher as she progressed up the school and I would get a lot of 'Oh that explains a lot!' comments when I explained to each teacher at parents evenings.

She is now in year 8 at a girls' grammar and I hummed and haaed about telling the school about her dyspraxia. I opted not to bother for several reasons - but partly because I don't want her to use it as an excuse - she will not get special allowances made for her as an adult.

She has managed fine. Yes, she is disorganised, but no more so that alot of other kids in her class. Sometimes she doesn't finish work in class, but she catches up at lunch times or at home (in theory, anyway...I need to clamp down on this a bit!).

The only subject she gets poor grades in is PE because she simply cannot catch or throw a ball :D and I did explain to her that her dyspraxia is at fault here and she shouldn't worry about it.

So I guess what I'm saying is maybe don't be too quick to label your son, whichever school you choose for him (If I'd had the choice I would have chosen a small nurturing indie for my DD1 but she loves her Grammar school). Give him the chance to rise to the challenge of his new environment first. Our Occupational therapist explained that bright children will often find their own innovative ways to cope with their dyspraxia and I bet your son will surprise you, especially given the supportive home environment that you are clearly providing for him.

Have a Good New Year

Pixiequeen
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

Thanks Pixiequeen - the OT who assessed DS said he had already developed a lot of strategies to cope which is good but DS will need support in senior school which we will only be able to access if we tell the school. I understand about not having special allowances as an adult but it might impact on what career/job DS might look to persue - to play to his strengths as much as possible.
Mungo

Post by Mungo »

Hi

ALPHASMART Neo is like a virtually indestructible word processor. It only allows word processing so you can type up notes and then tidy them up at home. I definitely recommend it.
Last edited by Mungo on Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mystery

Post by mystery »

It seems a shame if a child doesn't go to grammar school because of something which does not in the least affect their academic ability.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now