disability/discrimination act and the 11 Plus

Advice on Special Needs and the 11 Plus Exams

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
patricia

disability/discrimination act and the 11 Plus

Post by patricia »

Dear All

I have also posted this under the Bucks thread, however although the pdf is applicable to Bucks. It is a nationwide legal framework. I wonder how other areas use the act?

http://www.buckscc.gov.uk/schools/documents/ad" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... idance.pdf

Patricia
concerned Mum

11 plus and disability

Post by concerned Mum »

Thanks Patricia,

I have been looking for this info regarding 11 plus for pupils with a disability, although from Kent I will find it very useful. I have a year 5 child with severe hand deformities who is virtually unable to write.
Boo

Post by Boo »

To concerned Mum, I have a child who has problems writing due to dyspraxia and ADHD and at school help is given, sometimes by a scribe and sometimes by using a PC and extra time will be allowed for the SATS but the school must apply for this. My undertsnading is that barriers to learning and achievemnt must be removed as far as possible and that pelple with disabilities have the same rights. Handwriting is simply the ability to record information with a pen, assuming that they do not take handwriting into account it must therefore be possible to record information by other methods to remove the barrier e.g a scribe. I am assuming that you believe your child to be able to cope with the problem in a grammar school, perhaps by using a laptop as I am not sure what other help they would put in place without a statement of SEN and this would be highly unlikey unless your child is failing to reach the average levels expected as I have been told that a child does not have the right to reach their full potential only to be hitting the expected average. In my opinion resources for SEN are concentrate at the 'below average' kids to ensure that when they leave school they are able to get a job, pay tax and payback - cynical I know.
*** CONFUSED !!! ***

Post by *** CONFUSED !!! *** »

Hi Patricia

I was just reading this thread, and clicked on the link that you supplied, but unfortunately it seems to be unobtainable (or maybe its me ... lol).

Do you by any chance, have an updated link please?

Thanks for all your valuable input x
Knowledge is power