Adhd.

Advice on Special Needs and the 11 Plus Exams

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
TLC11

Re: Adhd.

Post by TLC11 »

Hi Adhdad,
Just wondering if your still around and how your DS got on in the 11+? My DS has Adhd and is medicated. We have just started the process of looking at secondary schools for him. He is in year 4 now, so he won't be taking the 11+ for a while yet. It's such a worry trying to get it right for them.
Stressed?Moi?

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

Just thought I'd mention that my (non medicated) ADHD boy qualified for the grammar of his choice which is fab. He wasn't in the "guaranteed" rank, but hopefully it will be enough for him to gain a place.

On the tests we did here and a couple of formal mocks, he did exceptionally well. However, on the day, his result didn't reflect this. The biggest problem we had was that we requested what was described as a "quiet room" where hopefully he would be less distracted than in a hall with lots of other boys. However, there were 2 other ADHD boys in the room as well (ie, 3 of them in total). What could possibly go wrong?!!!! One of the boys, bless him, let his mind wander and entered antonyms instead of synonyms and vice versa on his paper. When he realised his mistake, he kicked off - big time. He was bundled out of the room, but my DS became quite distressed about it to the point where he struggled to stop worrying about him and couldn't concentrate for "quite a while". The removed boy was taken to a private room and allowed to finish the test - plus an extra 15 minutes. My ds and the other boy however had no concessions, which was disappointing as they were all affected. Anyway, I just thought I'd mention it as it is something to consider/ask questions about when it's your ds' turn.
TLC11

Post by TLC11 »

Hi stressed?moi?
Congratulations to your son! That's lovely news to hear despite the difficulties he faced in the exam.
Another member has commented on the private room scenario before and it did get me thinking about instances like you describe. If my DS was.to be granted extra time though we would have no option but for him to take the test in a seperate room. This is something I will need to discuss with the school nearer the time. My main concerns are that he has an 'off' day on the day of the exam (he has quite a few melt down type days) or, he goes onto grammar and can't cope in the grammar environment.
adhdad

Post by adhdad »

hello all, ds score is borderline for one of the KE schools and has a decent chance of queen marys in walsall. I cant fault his effort and was very happy for him. :)

@tlc If i was back in year 4 i would do lots more reading coupled with regular sessions of antonyms and synonyms, regular spelling tests. The reason being that in yr5 bringing up the standard in the comp side of the exam took a lot of time and effort leaving us with less time for the maths part of the exam. I'm going on a bit here, if you need to know anything bout our experiece of the exam let me know, only to happy to help.
TLC11

Post by TLC11 »

Thank you for replying and a massive well done to your DS, you must be incredibly proud.

We have started reading together every night, currently the box set of Harry Potter which has an excellent range of vocab! Even I am learning! We both take turns of reading a few paragraphs each. We have been practicing spelling on the ipad as it engages him, as his spelling is incredibly poor. The frustrating thing is, he is very articulate and has a good range of vocab for his age. Putting that down on paper though is a different matter entirely.

He is good at maths so I'm not too concerned about focusing on that this year anyway.

Thank you. Im sure I will have plenty of questions over the coming 2 years...
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now