Dyslexia, dyscalculia and 11+ in West midlands

Advice on Special Needs and the 11 Plus Exams

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
thirdtimemum

Dyslexia, dyscalculia and 11+ in West midlands

Post by thirdtimemum »

Hi. My dd is hoping to take her 11+ in September. She will be taking the walsall,birmingham and kehs exams. I was wondering what allowances they will make for her. I have asked her what will help and she has requested use of her own pencil ( she has problems holding her pencil) , her question and answer sheets in yellow , use of a slope and being allowed to use a special.cushion she sits on which stops her figgiting. I will also be requesting extra time. Will there be any problem with these requests?
I'm also concerned with her spelling. She really struggles with it and regularly puts letters in the wrong order. It is also very difficult to read and her numbers are often back to front. Is there anything that can be done with regards to marking this? She is a very bright child but just struggles to get it on paper. I do wonder if grammar school is the best for her even if she passes, but then I don't feel that the local school is right for her. She is an end of July birthday which hasn't helped either.
Any advice would be very much appreciated.

I do need to change my name as I have been through this with my son who got into a grammar school but he didn't need any special support.
Alex

Re: Dyslexia, dyscalculia and 11+ in West midlands

Post by Alex »

I cannot comment on arrangements in your particular area , so hopefully somebody else may have experience or knowledge that they can offer, but in general requests for adjustments for tests should be accompanied by the appropriate evidence and should be those adjustments that are made on a day to day basis in the classroom at school. It is important to check what evidence is required, when the requests should be made and allow enough time for communication to take place between the primary school and the testing school(s). "Severe" dyslexia is likely make your child a disabled person in terms of the Equality Act so reasonable adjustments should be made for her.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now