Special requirements & Secondary school applications

Advice on Special Needs and the 11 Plus Exams

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Boncuk

Special requirements & Secondary school applications

Post by Boncuk »

Hi All,

My son has an EHC plan in place for his ASD and his 11+ test were cancelled off for the 12th & 14th Sept , pending new dates for his test after agreeing with his school that he will need to have his exam separately with a prompter at present. I have chased the admission team last week and they have confirmed that the letter will be sent to us very soon. We are still waiting for these dates to be confirmed which is not ideal as I have to mentally prepare him when he will be sitting the test and he is getting more anxious :( As we are taking the tests after the original date , I am a bit worried if we will get the test results in time for the secondary school applications which is closing on the 31st Oct. Is anyone here in the same circumstances as me and what to do? Do you still go ahead with your selection with your Grammar school as your priority top even though you don't know if you have passed the test? or will I get the answers in time?

Any comment, idea, info is appreciated, Thanks :)

Boncuk
Alex

Re: Special requirements & Secondary school applications

Post by Alex »

When a child has an EHC Plan, admission is via the naming of the school in Part I of the Plan. You will not have to go through the normal admissions process. The EHC Plan must be finalised to name the new secondary school by February 15th in the year of transfer. This is to make sure places for children with EHC Plans are sorted out before allocations day and so that parents have the opportunity to challenge through the Tribunal if they are not in agreement with the local authority about the school named in Part I.

Generally there will be an Annual Review in September/October where secondary transfer will be discussed - a draft amended EHC Plan will be produced following which you will request your preferred school(s) and ask for any changes you wish made to the draft Plan; the local authority will consult with the school(s) and then the final Plan will be issued in time to meet the Feb deadline.
Oblique

Post by Oblique »

Ditto Alex.

Don't worry about the October closing date but do make sure you visit the school(s) and speak with the SENCo(s). You will need to do this soon (if you haven't already) as it can take a while for decisions to be made and the paperwork completed, even if everyone (child, parents, new school and LA) are all in agreement. Hopefully, yours will be straightforward!

Which county are you in?
Boncuk

Post by Boncuk »

Thank you both! We live in Milton Keynes. I have already visited the schools and spoke to their Senco. I just wasn't aware that I didn't had to do the selection online as you usually do. I guess I will get an updated EHC plan soon with the name of the school or schools ( if they are allowed to type in more then 1 for grammar schools). I might still give them a call to be on the safe side though!

Thanks,
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I will pm you
Aethel

Post by Aethel »

Are you in Bucks? The special access 11 plus tests are next week (I think for everyone with special access arrangements, it's exactly a week behind the standard testings).
It's not clear if their scores will be fed into the big marking machine with everyone else's, or the general cohort will be standardised first and any later sitters just have their scores convertes. It is possible for the special access sitters and the "I was ill on the test day" reschedulers will both end up being given our marks at the usual time, which is mid October, though the Bucks website says "results may not be available if you sit the test after 14th Sept for any reason".....
So there will be two weeks to fill in the CAF but we may not have a score for certain.
If the grammar is your first choice, put it first, whether you have results or not. that means if unsuccessful you can appeal and if successful but oversub you can go on the waiting list,
Having the EHCP will at least make naming the school more straightforward for you: as most admissions criteria will prioritise any named school as long as your DC passes... my child has SEN but not an EHCP so we may just have to guess!

Good luck!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

You should always put a GS first if you want one - even if you don't qualify you'll need it on the CAF for a review or appeal. [This comment is for those with SEN but not EHC]
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now